Forum names

althea

If I won't be myself,who will be?
I expect this subject has been covered many times in the past. I have been wondering how members decided on their forum names.There are so many and varied in these forums that I'm sure there are some interesting tales to be told.
When I first joined a forum,back in 2004,I was nervous and unsure how I would be received.
I decided to call myself Althea,after Althea Vestrit,the doughty heroine of the Live Ship Traders series by Robin Hobb.
Althea was fearless and brave and the name gave me confidence.
I have used Althea on all forums except Booksie.com,where the name was not available.
On Booksie,I posted as Desilu,which was a nickname from school.

Back in the 90s I used to frequent the Yahoo sci-fi and fantasy chat room, my then girl friend now wife, suggested as I worked for the tax office I should have a blood suckers name. Thus Vladd Prince of Darkness was born. Over time I lost the Prince of Darkness title and Vladd became my go to online name. Sometimes I added the 67 as it’s my year of birth.

I was Radioman on forums for years, which is the name of a song by Feeder, who were by far my favourite band when I began joining forums.

I've also been WanderWithMe, as I like travelling and wandering. That came from a song by British Sea Power called Come Wander with Me, which was a cover of a song from The Twilight Zone.

When people began to know my name anyway, I changed to TheAlex, which makes some people think I'm a fan of Crewe Alexandra (the football team), as it's their nickname.

I've also been GravityEquivalentBattenberg, which was something to do with a scientific theory and playing in a band called The Cakes.

I think this is the only public forum where I use my real name, and it's also the most recent I've registered on.

Last edited:
Boaz was the name of my dog that my ex-wife kept. Boaz is one of the good guys in the Bible. Boaz also happens to imitate my own name (in my eyes, at least).... they both have four letters and two of the letters in Boaz are the same and in the same positions as in my name.

A warm chuckle to @AlexH. I too have called myself "The Alex" Because, for the first twenty five years of my life I was the only Alex. No one was named Alex in those days. In a sea of Bills, Joes, Bobs, Daves, Steves and Ricks; I, alone, owned my name.

Oh, sure, I had a Great Uncle in Canada with my name, (met him once when I was an infant)and my Twice-Great Grandfather was my namesake. (Never met the man... he'd been dead for a while)

I blame the insufferably cute, Michael J Fox, as the sweet and clever "Alex Keaton" on the '80's sitcom Family Ties for blowing my copyright. By the turn of the '90's, I couldn't go to a park, or a supermarket without some young Mother shrieking my name at some intransigent brat. Alexis, Alexandra, Alexander, gender notwithstanding, suddenly every kid in the neighborhood has had my name thrust upon them.

So, yeah, if a forum already has too many Alexes, and won't accept any version of Alex, as a username, try "TheAlex;" because there can be only one.

Skewing back on topic, here... In the early days of the www, I got onto the Asimov's/Analog magazine forums early enough (ca 1995) to snag username "Alex." No more, no less. For Fifteen years, I loitered about that place as "Alex." (The one and only)

Within that venue, there was a friendly fellow using his actual name: "David [I don't even remember his surname]" When that forum began to crumble into a sea of political flames and inept, irrational, unresponsive and anonymous Moderation and we were all getting a bit frantic about losing our long beloved community; David changed his username and declared himself "The Evil Overlord" in protest.

I declared that David was not the Evil Overlord of me, and changed my username to "Alex, The Great and Terrible." (Because L Frank Baum wrote, "I am Oz, the Great and Terrible." I regard the blasphemous alteration by MGM and subsequent revivals to "The Great and Powerful" to be a weak abomination of a once awe inspiring Title.( As the current steward of a four-generation, family collection of 42 Oz books, I cannot condone such libelous license.))

Thus, when those forums vanished you can blame DEO for rescuing me from a life raft on the lonely sea of woe, and inviting me to Chrons.

I had difficulties getting the Chrons software to accept any reasonable variation on my plain name, so I went with the full title; except there were too many characters, written out, to fit. So I went with the initials. It never occurred to me, until it was too late, about the Gin and Tonic bit.

Last edited:
Mine started out as Telford, the MC of my books. For some reason I wanted to distance myself from that when I got published. Droflet is Telford spelled backwards. Yeah, I know I'm a bother.

Boaz was the name of my dog that my ex-wife kept. Boaz is one of the good guys in the Bible. Boaz also happens to imitate my own name (in my eyes, at least).... they both have four letters and two of the letters in Boaz are the same and in the same positions as in my name.
Brad?
Joab?
Bazz?

A warm chuckle to @AlexH. I too have called myself "The Alex" Because, for the first twenty five years of my life I was the only Alex. No one was named Alex in those days. In a sea of Bills, Joes, Bobs, Daves, Steves and Ricks; I, alone, owned my name.

Oh, sure, I had a Great Uncle in Canada with my name, (met him once when I was an infant)and my Twice-Great Grandfather was my namesake. (Never met the man... he'd been dead for a while)

I blame the insufferably cute, Michael J Fox, as the sweet and clever "Alex Keaton" on the '80's sitcom Family Ties for blowing my copyright. By the turn of the '90's, I couldn't go to a park, or a supermarket without some young Mother shrieking my name at some intransigent brat. Alexis, Alexandra, Alexander, gender notwithstanding, suddenly every kid in the neighborhood has had my name thrust upon them.

So, yeah, if a forum already has too many Alexes, and won't accept any version of Alex, as a username, try "TheAlex;" because there can be only one.

Skewing back on topic, here... In the early days of the www, I got onto the Asimov's/Analog magazine forums early enough (ca 1995) to snag username "Alex." No more, no less. For Fifteen years, I loitered about that place as "Alex." (The one and only)

Within that venue, there was a friendly fellow using his actual name: "David [I don't even remember his surname]" When that forum began to crumble into a sea of political flames and inept, irrational, unresponsive and anonymous Moderation and we were all getting a bit frantic about losing our long beloved community; David changed his username and declared himself "The Evil Overlord" in protest.

I declared that David was not the Evil Overlord of me, and changed my username to "Alex, The Great and Terrible." (Because L Frank Baum wrote, "I am Oz, the Great and Terrible." I regard the blasphemous alteration by MGM and subsequent revivals to "The Great and Powerful" to be a weak abomination of a once awe inspiring Title.( As the current steward of a four-generation, family collection of 42 Oz books, I cannot condone such libelous license.))

Thus, when those forums vanished you can blame DEO for rescuing me from a life raft on the lonely sea of woe, and inviting me to Chrons.

I had difficulties getting the Chrons software to accept any reasonable variation on my plain name, so I went with the full title; except there were too many characters, written out, to fit. So I went with the initials. It never occurred to me, until it was too late, about the Gin and Tonic bit.

Imagine what life is like for my grandson's fiance,who is named Alexa. She used ro be the one and only,now she is in almost every home.:confused:

Here we go again, my initials are A.C. (if you miss out the middle name, which I never actually do), and I was always into planes, thus my best friend christened me, "The Ace," when I was about 9.

As to the subtitle, I'm Scottish, and a Roman re-enactor.

When I came here nobody seemed to be going by their real names, so I chose a handle and used if for a while. But then I saw that some people were changing to their real names and I decided I would be most comfortable that way. So I asked Brian to change the name on my account. It does help keep my name before the public in promoting my books, but more importantly I feel more centered using my real identity. I was going through an identity crisis of sorts at the time I started using my own name here, and while I wasn't immediately cured, it did help.

But that was just my personal situation.

It also reminds me to take care with my words, because I'm the one who is going to be held responsible for anything I say. Not that I always heed that reminder, but I try.

Despite being an atheist, Thaddeus was my favourite disciple. Never asked for special recognition. Never whined about being top disciple. Never betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver.

He just went to work and put in a good solid shift discipling. Like the chap who's always at work, doing his job, never trying to hog the glory or promote himself (ironic, given self-promotion is something I'd like to be much better at).

Sixth is also a Biblical reference. Seven represents the perfection of God, six man's best effort to get close. It's why in the water into wine parable there are six jars of water.

Found it years ago in a reprint of the 1894 edition of Brewer's...
P_20190127_111127-01.jpeg

Last edited: