What is your single favourite novel?

I'm of the old fashioned stick in the mud fraternity so I'll go with a classic. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper lee.
For SF Enders Game.

Not a single Philip K. Dick entry yet? :(

I'm going with "A Scanner Darkly" if I'm forced to choose only one.

A Scanner Darkly Is in my top 5 definitely (or 3 or 7...don't know?!). It's the only book that when I read it I immediately re-read it again on the spot. It does mean a lot to me.

Difficult to choose a pinnacle when you're moving about and changing your viewpoint.

My singular favorite novel is "The Hobbit". It is the book that started it all (for me), and the first book that I read more than once.

Was that the one where he started doing the 'ret-conning' to tie Shannara in with Knight of the Word etc?
I don't think it started here. In fact, earlier books mentioned the artifacts left from (what we can now recognize as) that 'futuristic' world.

The only thing that disappointed me about this book, was the lack of follow-up ina future story. Saying "something broke inside him" when he fully accessed the stones' power, gave me the expectation the 'what' would be explained. And although I think this was the best book of the series, I am still peeved at that.

For me it's Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. I think I'm one of the odd ones out with this though.

The Elfstones of Shannara

Easily the best book of the entire saga. Some of the later ones were good, I liked when he introduced the airships in the Jerle Shannara set, but that's because I have a soft spot for airships. In the end, nothing ever really toppled Elfstones off its seat as his best work -- well I can't entirely say that for sure as I haven't got around to reading his latest trilogy yet...

I don't think it started here. In fact, earlier books mentioned the artifacts left from (what we can now recognize as) that 'futuristic' world.

The only thing that disappointed me about this book, was the lack of follow-up ina future story. Saying "something broke inside him" when he fully accessed the stones' power, gave me the expectation the 'what' would be explained. And although I think this was the best book of the series, I am still peeved at that.

I think that was talking about the wishsong which was followed on up in the very next book. The broke meant that future generations would no longer needed the stones to access the power, it was a part of them now. Or at least that's how I took it. Perhaps Terry Brooks shouldn't have used the word "broke", but maybe the word "unlocked" instead.

Was that the one where he started doing the 'ret-conning' to tie Shannara in with Knight of the Word etc?

You're thinking of Armageddon's Children. The Genesis of Shannara was when he did the tie in. In saying that, @Cathbad is right that all the previous books did hint at lost technology. The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara took a very futuristic turn... so the groundwork was there long before Armageddon's Children existed.

Last edited:
I can't pick only one, but since the other candidates seem to have been discussed (or at least mentioned) more frequently in these forums, I'll go with Georges Perec, Life A User's Manual.

Howl's Moving Castle. Never seen the film. Don't intend to.
I love Miyazaki, but neither my kids nor I could make sense of this movie. Then I began reading the novel to my daughter, and she got bored by chapter 3 or 4, so we never finished it. To be fair, this was right around the time she stopped wanting to be read to at all.