What is your single favourite novel?

I couldn't possible choose just one. I have many favorites that I reread from time to time, plus I discover new favorites along the way, and I find that rereading these books reminds me most vividly of why I admire and love them. So if I gave you a favorite now, I'd probably have to come back in a few weeks or months and take it back, because I've "remembered" that I love something else even more.

Aw, you narrowed it down. Not fair! May I include an honorable mention?

My stand alone favorite novel is the Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson. It had humor in it, a talking wolf, a happy ending, and it still leaves me with a warm glow.

My honorable mention has to go to Harry Harrisson's Bill the Galactic Hero. When I first started reading it I thought it was a serious SF novel, but things started getting strange after Bill woke up and began shaking hands with himself. I have often thought Mr. Harrison must have felt pretty good after finishing it for he lambasted every institution known to man. Being the sick and cynical fart I am I enjoyed every word in it.

A decade or so ago I probably wouldn't have hesitated and said Stardust by Neil Gaiman, but it's been a long time since I've read it so I couldn't be sure anymore. I'll give it a reread this year and get back to you.

I haven't read many, and I'd usually list three. As you've insisted on one...

Replay by Ken Grimwood.

P.S. I feel like you cheated by posting 18 novel covers. :p

Robert Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky. It was the first sci-fi novel I remember reading, given to me by my older brother. If I picked it up and read it today, I'm sure it would be dated and probably simplistic. But it started me on a wondrous reading journey.

The Star Rover by Jack London . Of all the books ive ever read, I like this one best of all. Epic in scope and scale , a journey access time space and history . A great book by a great writer.

Beach Music, Pat Conroy.

If I were allowed to fudge, I would add that it's tied with A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving.

When number of rereads is important, then probably The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch.

If I was to pick one book as my all time favourite it would have to be King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett.

A memorable telling of the historical Macbeth. It is epic in scope with vivid characters that spring to life from the page.

I think you've been selected for a 'front page' post :)
Just saw that - first time for everything!

P.S. I feel like you cheated by posting 18 novel covers. :p
Yes, it is a bit ironic... :)

Some interesting choices being sent in, and almost everyone is sticking to the rules (even a couple not posting anything because it's too close to call). Maybe a couple of "cheats" posting trilogies but I suppose I can let that go.

Keep it up Chroners.

Just saw that - first time for everything!

Yes, it is a bit ironic... :)

Some interesting choices being sent in, and almost everyone is sticking to the rules (even a couple not posting anything because it's too close to call). Maybe a couple of "cheats" posting trilogies but I suppose I can let that go.

Keep it up Chroners.

Yes -- a good thread, and I hope to see at least 30 more new responses.

I thought about and came to a conclusion that I cannot tell you my favourite because I don't have one. I have no concept of a linear ranking list of books with a start and finish. I can't even fathom how to make start of such a list for so many factors come into play that might rank one book above another and then flip them both the other way for another criteria. Not to mention my shifting tastes and experiences changes things through time.

So no I cannot tell you my favourite.

But I can tell you the one that, I think, has had the most impact and influence in my life and love of fantasy and reading. I can tell you that book very easily.

The Hobbit, illustrated by Michael Hague.

A book that held not just a fantastic story written by a man who has had a dramatic effect on so much of fantasy and mythology. Not just the prelude to the epic Lord of the Rings; but the artwork within the book sparked the imagination. Dragons, spiders, wolfs and dwarves. The drawings brought the book to life in my mind and enhanced the writing. Bringing to life the flowery descriptions that Tolkien wrote.
I don't know if I can call it favourite, though in some ways it is. But I can certainly call it the one that had the greatest impact on me.