Honest Book Covers.

Some of these are pretty good. I particularly like the one for Pride & Prejudice, which is a novel I've always felt bad about disliking because I assumed I just didn't "get it" as a man, but the reality is I didn't like it for the same reason I disliked Twilight... which was essentially that the message as far as I can tell is to be a real jerk to women and they'll fall in love with you.

Also, Dune is spot on. All I could think of for most of that book was "I remember that trip where I thought I might be some sort of messiah too!"

The Lord of the Flies blurb reminded me that many school outings nearly devolved to that level by the end.

One of my in-the-pipeline stories is about a geography field trip from hell so that really resounded. Also it reminded me of that old French & Saunders sketch. Which cracked me up. Can’t find it on YouTube sadly.

ph

How the <beep >?!?!

You are a magician. Yes.

The reality is - in London at least - my kids are far worse :D (although they don’t nick stuff)

pH
As you will perhaps recall from your own youth, it is a universal fact that teenagers are positively horrible in groups larger than 1. Sometimes even in groups less than that.

Uh, did that video play OK when you posted it, Vince? It comes up with a copyright warning now.

Does this one work for you?

Yes thanks. I think the problem with the first one was that I'm in the UK. I'm guessing you're not? (ETA: but it worked for pH, so clearly that's not it. Maybe my PC respects IP more than his.)

Your next task is to track down a working video of Fry and Laurie's The Red Hat of Patferrick.

2001 A Space Odyssey - I am that smug friend

I have too, and it does make the film make sense...but I've read/heard that Kubrick said in an interview that his version of this dual-project was different from ACC's interpretation in the novel, so you shouldn't assume that the book can help you with the film :)

One of my friends said he was going to watch 2001 for the first time when he gets the chance. I can't wait to hit him with some grade A smugness!