Beagle's Last Unicorn -- dust jacket

Extollager

I'm working on an article for the Tolkienian newsletter Beyond Bree. Did the dust jacket copy for the first edition (1968) of Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn refer to an authors other than Beagle himself? I'm particularly interested in whether or not Tolkien is mentioned.

My thesis is that, in the mid- to late 1960s, American publishers could see that "Tolkien" was a huge seller; but the category of fantasy as a genre for adults was not yet established. Thus rather un-Tolkienian authors such as Lewis Carroll might be mentioned in connection with Tolkien's own writings or writing by other authors of fantasy intended for adults. Lance and Paperback Library, for example, offered sword-and-sorcery stuff with "Tolkien" references. I think that Beagle's novel was one of the books that helped to begin to establish "fantasy" as a marketing term, etc. I haven't worked everything out -- for one thing, I haven't read it in over 40 years. But I'm trying to get hold of reviews from the time.

Ballantine issued Beagle's novel in Feb. 1969 with one of the all-time most attractive paperback covers, and with no blurb on the cover -- letting Gervasio Gallardo's gorgeous painting stand almost for itself. Inside, though, Tolkien is mentioned.

But what about the original hardcover edition?

Your help would be appreciated. Possibly someone visits a library where there's still a well-read copy on the shelf -- ?

Tolkien in pre-1970 blurbs

22865472164.jpg

22865472164_2.jpg

30193649809_3.jpg

Zoom in on the inside flap.

Wahoo! Vince, if you would like to be credited in my Beyond Bree article with your full name, send me a personal message or mention it here. Thank you. This is exciting information. Now I am wondering if The Last Unicorn was the first hardcover original novel published with dust jacket copy invoking Tolkien.

Hi,

I have the 1971 reprinting of the 69 paperback by Ballentyne. There's no blurb at all on the cover - front or back, and inside the blurb on the book by the publisher doesn't mention any other authors. But just below it, they put in two testimonials. The one by Grenville Hicks of the Saturday Review mentions Carrol and Tolkein. The New York Times Book Review, doesn't.

Specifically it says: "Beagle is a true magician with words ... He has been compared, not unreasonably, with Lewis Carrol and JRR Tolkein, but he stands squarely and triumphantly on his own feet."

Cheers, Greg.

Yep -- I have the first 1969 printing of that Ballantine paperback, and a beautiful thing it is, Greg.