Star Trek - Discovery - 2.01: Brother

Well, it is still a subject up for debate in my view. Wasn't that what The Matrix was all about? Everyone within the Matrix was perfectly happy too. So, Neo, Morpheus, Trinity and the other human rebels should have just left everyone alone in their fantasy because the real world was just too unbearable to contemplate.

Red Pill: Knowledge, freedom, uncertainty and the brutal truths of reality
Blue Pill: Security, happiness, beauty, and the blissful ignorance of illusion

While the quality of the writing has had it's ups and downs and the redesigns of Klingon physiology and starship design, made me fume on occasion (the D-7 anyone?) I'm inordinately happy it's back.
Like last season, you could carefully predict where the plot would be going, based on the established lore.
Burnham grabbing a rock mid transport for example, should have resulted in that rock being taken also. The fact that it didn't, proved to be a major plotpoint.

A few nitpicks, though: who in their right mind okeyed the colourful flightsuits? I was half expecting them to go through a styrofoam wall.
That entire sequence felt reminiscent of "into darkness", a film I would rather forget existed.
Of course officer Soon-to-Die bragging about having the reflexes of a Caitian was going to blow up.

For now though, I'm worried for L'Rell story-line, as I don't give a damn wether she lives or dies.

Just getting into the second season.
My biggest surprise, so far, is the new Captain Christopher Pike. I did not immediately recognize the former Cullen Bohannon, lead character of Hell on Wheels. That's quite a transformation for Anson Mount.

cullenpike.jpg

I thought Anson Mount was the best example of Star Trek seen on Discovery and I was (and I'm still waiting) ready for a Captain Pike spin off. He was a little weak on the In humans but this he knocked out of the park.

Back