Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
WARNING!! There will be spoilers!
-----------------------------

First Shown 1/17/19 (Th.) 8:30 PM CBSAA

Last edited:
Okay... I'm not sure how I feel about this episode - mostly because I couldn't get ahold of where they were going with the storyline.

Another new energy source? Or, are the still going after the signal source? Or will the focus be centered on Spock and Michael's relationship?

There were some great visuals in the season opener! And from the trailers, it seems we can expect more fantastic special effects. Good - but I hope that's not the focus, or that it doesn't take away from the story.

I'm not sure how I feel about it either. Maybe it was because of the music, the script or the break we had with the first season.

That source of energy is very strange. Looks more like a star or an exploded asteroide. Of course, Tilly had to take a huge sample on board. I don't remember her talking so much in the first season, exception the moments when she was stressed about something.

I kinda expected Stamets will leave the show.

So, all that pub misleaded us. Captain Pike took only temporary the bridge of Discovery. A backup captain on Discovery ? Hmm. We had Michael for that job.

The scene in the elevator was hilarious.

Spock was not nice as a kid. Not with Michael anyway. Then why would she go and look for him ?

I will watch the episode again. I hope I will understand it better.

Here you have the trailer for his episode, in case you didn't have the change to watch the first episode yet. It resumes well the best moments.

@Alexa , she went after him, apparently, because there is something she did, for which she blames herself about their estrangement.

Yes, she said or did something she regrets. As for Spock, he was young, if we feel the need to blame someone, blame Sarek. However, all first and second children share some of this, it is natural, even for those who aren't adopted. Just wait until he meets Sybok! Or, does no one talk about him in the Sarek/Amanda household?

Personally, I feel that I already know enough about Spock and Michael Burnham. Otherwise, call it Star Trek: Michael Burnham rather than Discovery. There are still four Bridge officers who I know nothing about except their names. Now they introduce two more! Okay, one was a redshirt but you get my point.

And I thought Pike is staying on while the Enterprise is being repaired. Or, is he staying for good? Or, did I get that wrong. He wasn't on the Enterprise when he had his accident with the Delta radiation what put him into the mobility scooter with the very limited communication device.

Apparently, people complained about the slow start last Season, which explains why they went full overdrive into action, action and more action. I'm not complaining, I liked it, but I agree with Cathbad that special effects don't replace good plotting.

There are a lot of new energy sources aren't there? I'm not sure where they are going with this. They have the problem with anything new that they need to explain why we don't see it in the future, or see it talked about in the future. They will always have this problem, whether it is a Spore Drive or some rogue Captains.

Also, I think we got further confirmation here that what Saru detects with his neck hairs is not "Fear" but a premonition of "Death" and is different to him 'smelling' human emotions. What is more, the crew are aware of this too. Price certainly seemed to know when Saru replied "What did you expect?"

And I also don't remember the excessive talking last season. She was flighty and shy and blurted out things, but didn't suffer from this new affliction.

Oh, I loved the new intro. It was a perfect mix of science and mythology. Just like Roddenberry would have liked it. He was more into the fantasy then he probably ever realised. All of that can be read from the TOS texture, and I like that CBS has balls to develop it even further.

Burnham also needed more explanation in her origin story, but so does Spock as after the TOS and a few movies he mostly disappeared without giving out much of the story about who he was, when he grew up in his father's shadow.

So, I really liked that he was very early on a highly skilled hacker. Not that the TOS or anyone else afterwards understood to call him as such. But, then again, almost every Vulcan are like him. It however surprised me that neither his dad or his sister expected to see him again. It was as if they couldn't believe that the boy they'd so much trouble with could reach out to his family again.

Jim would have said: "Everyone loves Spock. So, what's the big deal?"

I don't think Sarak can ever really answer such a question as he's more hidden behind Vulcan stoicism than his son. He didn't even reflect fear, when it became clear that the Enterprice was virtually a floating wreck. Not that the Enterprice ever make her epic missions without someone banging out dents from its hull or fiddling with its sensitive systems.

Compared to the Discovery, the Enterprice's history is filled with all sorts of engineering chaos. It is almost as if should had been decommissioned sooner than allow her to develop so many malfunctions. Maybe that is the reason for why Scotty became such a wicked engineer at the end. Not that he was present, when the malfunction happened.

But in the grounds that Pike was conducting a scientific hunt on the spacial anomaly I don't really get how he can commandeer Discovery so fast. An anomaly isn't enough to take over another ship, even if Saru claimed that he was: "...just an acting captain."

I liked that he quoted regulations on Pike's face. Just check that look on Pike's face, and you'll see he wasn't happy to hear them at all.

zcF6Msg.jpg

It's like he's given Saru the glare of are-you-kidding-me?

I really hope that CBS allows Anson Mount to grow a gruffy beard as that's the face I'd grown custom to see in the Hell-on-Wheels. He quickly grew into Pike's role as approached it with much softer touch after Tilly had confirmed his identity and nearly "...broken the captain." :LOL:

I was as heart broken to hear Statmet's goodbyes as she was at the engine room. It's not easy to live with the PTSD's. You need the change. You need to lessen that stress.

Well, I guess it's about also that his role would be negated with Spock's introduction into the Discovery series. It was right that they didn't used his presence in the anomaly exploration, as he would had eaten all the attention from excellent bridge action.

RacWRD7.jpg

Why does those EVO suits need to be colour coded? This is change from last year, where Burnham sported with the hardshell EVO suit without showing the colours. Is it a StarFleet regulation that you'll need to show rank in such way?

What if the aliens would learn that the golden means shoot-at-it-first? Although I liked that the StarFleet ships are now carrying landing pods other than the classical shuttles. After all, they are usually alone in the mission, but they should have had before to launch smaller vessels, other than the shuttles. Although I would not have called them as landing pods, because the name conjures very quickly the image of hardened landers, not manoeuvrable mini-vessels.

Was the last lander Michael's idea of how she going to get out after the transporter room was disconnected from her? Pike surely did Jim's as he went back for Burnham. Probably against Saru's recommendations. How did they get a transport lock?

Personally, I feel that I already know enough about Spock and Michael Burnham. Otherwise, call it Star Trek: Michael Burnham rather than Discovery.
But @Dave , that is exactly what Discovery was billed as: Following Michael, rather than a Captain!

And I thought Pike is staying on while the Enterprise is being repaired. Or, is he staying for good? Or, did I get that wrong. He wasn't on the Enterprise when he had his accident with the Delta radiation what put him into the mobility scooter with the very limited communication device.
That was several years after he left the Enterprise, wasn't it?

And if I gathered correctly, Starfleet ordered him to stay on until the source of the signal was discovered?

@ctg said:
It however surprised me that neither his dad or his sister expected to see him again. It was as if they couldn't believe that the boy they'd so much trouble with could reach out to his family again.
As I recall, Spock and Sarak had a big falling out over his decision to go into Starfleet. Spock probably said something in the line of, "It would be best if we did not have further contact." Sarak probably felt the relationship was over.

What if the aliens would learn that the golden means shoot-at-it-first?
This is the very reason officers and senior NCO's, during my days in the Army, said during war, they would drive - because the enemy knew to shoot the front-seat passenger!

But @Dave , that is exactly what Discovery was billed as: Following Michael, rather than a Captain!
I don't recall that, but Discovery is the name of a ship, not a Captain (and this is the second Captain so not my complaint.)
There are still four Bridge officers who I know nothing about except their names. Now they introduce two more!
That's my main complaint. What is their story?
That was several years after he left the Enterprise, wasn't it?
Oh, Yes! But it couldn't be that long after. My point is that we might see it happen if this show runs for say, seven Seasons and he is still in the cast.
And if I gathered correctly, Starfleet ordered him to stay on until the source of the signal was discovered?
Yes, and technically they haven't discovered the source. I got a strong impression that they weren't going to find it at the location they visited though, which makes his mission null and void. However, it was a very vague kind of order. If I had been Saru, and as anal as he appears to be about orders, then I would have certainly questioned that.

@Cathbad I liked this episode. I liked it a lot. But I'm also a member of the the Star Trek Nitpickers Society. I signed up and I got a card and everything (I think it is now a defunct society, but there was a book published.) I just cannot let these things pass without comment.

@Dave -
I don't recall that, but Discovery is the name of a ship, not a Captain (and this is the second Captain so not my complaint.)
And Enterprise was the name of a ship - but the focus, as all other Star Treks, was the Captain/Commander (DS9).

@Cathbad I liked this episode. I liked it a lot. But I'm also a member of the Star Trek Nitpickers Society. I signed up and I got a card and everything (I think it is now a defunct society, but there was a book published.) I just cannot let these things pass without comment.
Oddly (for me) I don't think I liked it. Too many questions unanswered. I will, however, be re-watching it later in the week.

Yes, she said or did something she regrets. As for Spock, he was young, if we feel the need to blame someone, blame Sarek. However, all first and second children share some of this, it is natural, even for those who aren't adopted. Just wait until he meets Sybok! Or, does no one talk about him in the Sarek/Amanda household?

Personally, I feel that I already know enough about Spock and Michael Burnham. Otherwise, call it Star Trek: Michael Burnham rather than Discovery. There are still four Bridge officers who I know nothing about except their names. Now they introduce two more! Okay, one was a redshirt but you get my point.

Apparently, people complained about the slow start last Season, which explains why they went full overdrive into action, action and more action. I'm not complaining, I liked it, but I agree with Cathbad that special effects don't replace good plotting.

There are a lot of new energy sources aren't there? I'm not sure where they are going with this. They have the problem with anything new that they need to explain why we don't see it in the future, or see it talked about in the future. They will always have this problem, whether it is a Spore Drive or some rogue Captains.

Also, I think we got further confirmation here that what Saru detects with his neck hairs is not "Fear" but a premonition of "Death" and is different to him 'smelling' human emotions. What is more, the crew are aware of this too. Price certainly seemed to know when Saru replied "What did you expect?"

And I also don't remember the excessive talking last season. She was flighty and shy and blurted out things, but didn't suffer from this new affliction.

Pike had his accident years afterwards. He could say yes and no only with Beeps. Canon wise this becomes a potential problem now, given their super advanced level of technology and medical knowledge . Even the 21st century whaled e speech synthesizers and that by the 23rd century ,they would be lightyears beyond . In the 23rd century given their advanced technology and medical sciences , in so many ways here, there is just no way that Christopher Pike remains an invalid with such limited communication. It no lager makes sense.

Last edited:
Pike had his accident years afterwards. He could say yes and no only with Beeps. Canon wise this becomes a potential problem now, given their super advanced level of technology and medical knowledge . Even the 21st century whaled e speech synthesizers and that by the 23rd century ,they would be lightyears beyond . In the 23rd century given their advanced technology and medical sciences , in so many ways here, there is just no way that Christopher Pike remains an invalid with such limited communication. It no lager makes sense.
It's not a "problem", @BAYLOR . I mean, so what? That's very, very, extreme nitpicking. In the 60s, no one - not even scientists - thought we would soon create something like Hawkin's synthesizer and wheelchair.

No, the entire canon of Star Trek will not fall asunder, collapsing the entire Trek Universe into a black hole of obscurity! ;)

Updating the technology - as we know it now - is only ahem... logical! Just as in Season 1, the differences make no difference! :)

"Canon" is about story - not props.

Hi! Long time no see!

It's not a "problem"... Updating the technology - as we know it now - is only ahem... logical! Just as in Season 1, the differences make no difference! :)

"Canon" is about story - not props.
I'm afraid, I disagree.

The whole point of the dilemma posed in The Menagerie was that the life Pike could have on Talos IV with Vina was infinitely better than the one he would have otherwise. It is a story about living in cyberspace, but long before cyberspace had ever been imagined.

If you say that he could have had a fine life anyway, because advanced technology allowed him to live a full and good life in the real world, well, then you walk all over that excellent piece of science fiction with heavy clompy boots on.

But this is the fundamental problem with any sequel, retcon or re-imagination. However much they tell you they will respect and be true to the original, it is impossible not to degrade it somewhat.

I'm afraid, I disagree.

The whole point of the dilemma posed in The Menagerie was that the life Pike could have on Talos IV with Vina was infinitely better than the one he would have otherwise. It is a story about living in cyberspace, but long before cyberspace had ever been imagined.

If you say that he could have had a fine life anyway, because advanced technology allowed him to live a full and good life in the real world, well, then you walk all over that excellent piece of science fiction with heavy clompy boots on.

But this is the fundamental problem with any sequel, retcon or re-imagination. However much they tell you they will respect and be true to the original, it is impossible not to degrade it somewhat.
You really think Hawking wouldn't have preferred the life he could have had on the Menagerie planet?

Just saying... :p

Talos 4 would be a nice escape indeed Given the way this world going, I wouldn't mind escaping into whatever illusions they could come up with .:(

Back