The Passage

svalbard

Based on Justin Cronin's epic the TV series pilot was shown last night. Unlike the novel which slowly builds the story the TV hurtleds along at breathneck speed and I am not too sure if this is going to be a success. The two leads playing Brad Wolgast and Amy actually do a fine job and the chemistry between them is good. However I would like to have seen this go to a HBO or Netflix instead of Fox.

Pedro Del Mar

I am content
After being a huge fan of the book and being aware that the TV show doesn't necessarily stick closely to the book I was a little unsure whether I'd enjoy the show. Pleased to report I did and I'm very much looking forward to the future episodes

picklematrix

The book is great. I've always thought it was prime material for adaptation, so I hope this series is at least entertaining.

svalbard

Episode 2 was ok. It still skips along at a good old pace and chemistry between Wolgast and Amy continues to develop which as book readers will know is an important part of the story.

Sister Lacy enters early and exits just as quickly. Although I have my doubts that she is completely gone and may survive. I hope she does.

Reactions: ctg

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
I want to watch. I have the episodes, but somehow I haven't managed to press play.

svalbard

Season 1 finished up the other night with an action packed double episode finale. Despite my doubts as to what they have done with the source material, I do hope that it gets a second season.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
I have saved them but I haven't watched them. Could you please try to do a small talk about the first season? No big spoilers. Just introduce the theme and say something about the main characters. I promise you, it will help writing blurbs and things.

Pedro Del Mar

I am content
Haven't seen the finale yet but really enjoying the show. I hope they continue with the series, one of the best things on tv at the moment

svalbard

I have saved them but I haven't watched them. Could you please try to do a small talk about the first season? No big spoilers. Just introduce the theme and say something about the main characters. I promise you, it will help writing blurbs and things.
The world is on the brink of an Avian Flu pandemic and a group of scientists are working on a vaccine. However their methods are not exactly ethical. The main protagonists are a precocious young girl called Amy, who just might be the saviour of mankind. Brad Wolgast, a agent working for the shadowy group running Project Noah. The story revolves around their relationship. There are a plethora of other characters who shape the story.

Is it a faithful adaption of the novel? Not quite but there is enough of the source material present to keep me interested. Season 1 covers about 30-40% of the first novel in the trilogy. It is how they deal with the 2nd half of the story that will either make the series for me or it could be a massive deal breaker. Part 2 of the novel The Passage is some of the best written fiction that I have ever read. I truly wish HBO or Netflix had picked this up and not Fox.

Reactions: ctg