Favourite SFF Organisations

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
I've noticed a lot of fandom these days seems to be based around the idea of being a fictional group. All the "Which House Are You" quizzes (Potter and GoT), all the House robes and scarfs, etc.etc. Lords, you can even buy GoT House-branded whisky these days. My guess is its a lot easier to place yourself as a Gryffindor than as Harry.

Anyway, I was wondering which groups/organisations people had as their favourites? Personally I'm very partial to the Heralds of Valdemar (even if the books they're in are no longer quite my cup of tea). I also enjoyed reading about the Aes Sedai a lot, although I'd be less happy if I had to deal with them.

The Tanith First and Only (Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghosts series and part of the larger Warhammer 40k universe.)

501st Legion (Darth Vader's personal legion in Star Wars, but also the name of a group of Cosplayers. They do a lot of charity work and I really like what they do. If I were into cosplay, i'd love to join them.)

Another one for sneaky little beggars at Special Circumstances.

I have just finished reading Bear Head by Adrian Tchaikovsky which featured a new Dog bioform religion called "Sons of Adam" which I found very interesting.

Last edited:
The Fellowship of the Ring in J. R. R. Tolkien's LOTR
The Bridge Burners from Steven Erickson's Malazan Saga.