Death & Birth

Randy S

FOR EVERY DEATH THERE IS A BIRTH SCIENCE FICTION BOOK
or
A birth is waiting on a death

Read 1957 or 58

Is that your memory of the book title?
Or is it a quote from the book?

I think a bit more info would help, please have a look through the 'Book Search Help' guide at the top of this page, thanks

Is that your memory of the book title?
Or is it a quote from the book?

I think a bit more info would help, please have a look through the guide at the top of this page, thanks
Sorry - it was neither - the story of the book was about needing a 'death' before there could be a birth (that is a very rough synopsis) - I just remember it being fiction / science fiction.

Hi,

Phillip Jose Farmer's Fabulous Riverboat? Best I can do on so little I'm afraid. And did you read it in 57 or 58? Because that's too far back.

Cheers, Greg.

I was sure this was an Arthur C. Clarke short story, but websearching the book I was looking for led me to 'The Vitanuls' By John Brunner, a story where an Indian Physician discovers that the reason babies are being born without souls is that the world population has increased over the available soul stock. His response is, rather than to spray a cockroach habitat with insecticide, releasing a large number of substandard souls for recycling (umm, that's me, not the original story) to commit suicide thus alowing a body with a decent hope of ascension onto the wheel.