"Hello" again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Hello, again,

Thanks for letting me join this community. This is not my first introductory post. As I learned from an anonymous notification by one of the forum's gatekeepers, my first post was removed because I had included a link to an online survey which I am currently conducting as part of my academic research on language knowledge and reading experience. I was told that "we don't allow members to simply post surveys". So, I would like to know whether there is in general the possibility of posting surveys? That was not the only but an important reason why I joined the forum. The survey targets science fiction reading experience and its influence on language use, which seems fairly relevant to this forum. Participation is voluntary, there is a prize draw, and the study has been approved by the data protection official of my university faculty. Why am I not allowed to offer the link to the survey to the members of this forum?

Thanks for clarification. And again, I am happy to be here.
Daniel

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
Hello, again,

Thanks for letting me join this community. This is not my first introductory post. As I learned from an anonymous notification by one of the forum's gatekeepers, my first post was removed because I had included a link to an online survey which I am currently conducting as part of my academic research on language knowledge and reading experience. I was told that "we don't allow members to simply post surveys". So, I would like to know whether there is in general the possibility of posting surveys? That was not the only but an important reason why I joined the forum. The survey targets science fiction reading experience and its influence on language use, which seems fairly relevant to this forum. Participation is voluntary, there is a prize draw, and the study has been approved by the data protection official of my university faculty. Why am I not allowed to offer the link to the survey to the members of this forum?

Thanks for clarification. And again, I am happy to be here.
Daniel
Hey ho. A mod will drop along. I'm not one.

The Chrons is a community. A first post that's there to link to something external, rather than a new member post trying to engage wtih the community, is in poor form on any community. If you're involved in the survey and using it for your academic research, it will be classed as self promotion.

You would not believe how many people try to join and use communities just for the purposes of something external to the community. Because of that, all posts from new members linking to the sort of thing you've mentioned, are banned. As a community, I can't think of a single one of us who isn't supportive of the mod team about that - we don't want the boards to become clogged up with external links and people posting one post, and then leaving.

Get to know us first. Many of us are avid SF readers. Surely that can help your research, too? Ask some of your questions as forum threads if they invite discussion. That might be useful, too? And then, later, when we know you and it doesn't feel spammy, it might be okay to put up your link.

On the other note, you don't get clicks to links cold-calling into forums. It's like butting into a conversation to tell us about your fab survey, when really we all just wanted to chat about whether the aliens have come calling yet.

Welcome to the chrons, by the way.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Why am I not allowed to offer the link to the survey to the members of this forum?
Because we are repeatedly spammed by people joining just to post surveys. :)

The chrons forums may be an online community, but it's best thought of in terms of an offline social club, where people are invited to share in discussions on all aspects of SFF - and hence how detrimental it would be for the community for discussions to be constantly interrupted by marketing, advertising, or research requests.

In the meantime, I'll move this to the Feedback board, as you're not really introducing yourself as much as complaining about a staff decision and demanding public discussion of it. As that question has been asked I'll close the thread as there's no discussion to be had of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cathbad Star Trek: Discovery 87
R Book Search 6
kaufmannp Critiques 15
Juliana Writing Discussion 44
S Critiques 11