Man-kzin wars

Diglett

I'm reading Larry Niven, I read "mote in god's eye" and "Ringworld" and their continuations.

I want to keep reading Niven and I want to read man-kzin wars. But I see that it has 15 series, all of these 15 are canon? Searching in amazon, i can't find some of then.

To any Niven fan, what I should read from man-kzin wars? And where I can buy it?

The Man-Kzin wars series are shared-world anthology books - basically, lots of different authors wrote short stories and novellas ( with wildly-varying quality) using the Nivenverse. If you look at the covers, they say "Created by Larry Niven", which is not the same as "Written by..."
You won't really be missing out on much if you give them a miss, especially with so many original Nivens to read.

Try the Dream Park books, or the Heorot stories...

Dream Park (Dream Park, #1) by Larry Niven
Heorot Series by Larry Niven

There's a Featured Author forum here for Larry Niven - click on the link.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks a lot, I'll try dream park then, thanks for the suggestion.

Are good the rest of "Known space" books?

Are good the rest of "Known space" books?

Oh yes. I've always enjoyed the ones set in "Known Space".
If you haven't already, make sure you read Protector - it's sort of the start point, and is referenced throughout KS stories

I read the Niven ones when they first came out, and loved them. I wouldn't say it was a long time ago but I had dark hair back then. Great writer.

And I had less hair (well, shorter, anyway). The trick is to examine your grandparent's gene scans carefully before choosing them...

The Man-Kzin wars series are shared-world anthology books - basically, lots of different authors wrote short stories and novellas ( with wildly-varying quality) using the Nivenverse... You won't really be missing out on much if you give them a miss.
"Wildly varying quality", I agree. "Won't miss out much", I disagree, especially if you like the Kzin. There is much more meat put on the bones of their culture (much like later series of Star Trek did for the (originally one-dimensional) Klingons.) There are also some excellent stories and first rate writers involved - The Captain's Tiger has a British Army officer in Victorian India on Earth meeting a Kzin. Some of the stories are arguably apocryphal while still good - A Darker Geometry was one about the origin of the Outsiders. The Wunder War - is about the human resistance fighters on Wunderland and more meat is put on the bones of these earth colonies too.

I would read the Man-Kzin Wars series after other books. Some may also be out of print. They were originally published by Baen Books at about one per year, but the better volumes were then reprinted again later and it looks like there have been further reprints and different editions.

As for the order of reading the original Known Space short stories, I'd be tied between advising reading in the order they were written, against their order in the timeline. Some of the earliest stories i.e. The Coldest Place about Pluto have been superseded by scientific discovery. Also, the short-story compilations that I own are no longer in print and the new compilations have different selections of stories in different orders.

I also enjoyed reading the more recent series, The World of... series with Edward M. Lerner which cleverly integrates the original short stories into much longer stories, filling in the gaps as it does so, and adding additional layers to the plots. Even if you can get hold of the original short stories, this might be a preferable way to read them.

As for Larry Niven's other work, be sure to read the Svetz time-travel series and the Magic Goes Away fantasy series too.

"Wildly varying quality", I agree. "Won't miss out much", I disagree, especially if you like the Kzin. There is much more meat put on the bones of their culture (much like later series of Star Trek did for the (originally one-dimensional) Klingons.) There are also some excellent stories and first rate writers involved - The Captain's Tiger has a British Army officer in Victorian India on Earth meeting a Kzin. Some of the stories are arguably apocryphal while still good - A Darker Geometry was one about the origin of the Outsiders. The Wunder War - is about the human resistance fighters on Wunderland and more meat is put on the bones of these earth colonies too.

I would read the Man-Kzin Wars series after other books. Some may also be out of print. They were originally published by Baen Books at about one per year, but the better volumes were then reprinted again later and it looks like there have been further reprints and different editions.

As for the order of reading the original Known Space short stories, I'd be tied between advising reading in the order they were written, against their order in the timeline. Some of the earliest stories i.e. The Coldest Place about Pluto have been superseded by scientific discovery. Also, the short-story compilations that I own are no longer in print and the new compilations have different selections of stories in different orders.

I also enjoyed reading the more recent series, The World of... series with Edward M. Lerner which cleverly integrates the original short stories into much longer stories, filling in the gaps as it does so, and adding additional layers to the plots. Even if you can get hold of the original short stories, this might be a preferable way to read them.

As for Larry Niven's other work, be sure to read the Svetz time-travel series and the Magic Goes Away fantasy series too.

Ok, thanks. I don't know why its so hard to find some Niven books :(

Anyway, is nice to see Larry Niven's fans here, I just bougth "Protector" and I will find others from known space and I'll take a look on man-kzin wars.

" The Captain's Tiger has a British Army officer in Victorian India on Earth meeting a Kzin".

It's "The Colonel's Tiger" in Man-Kzin Wars VII, written by Hal Colebatch. Colebatch died a few months ago. He will be missed.

Only a few of these stories have become Canon. Some are terrific, some not so hot. Overall, they are great.

I wholeheartedly agree. It is my favorite of the M-K stories.