Special editions worth owning

Overread

Searching for a flower
So it struck me that, barring the almost annual "illustrated edition of Lord of the Rings" I'm not actually aware of many special editions of books that appear on the market. as they tend to appear and be printed in short supply I figure it might be well worth it to have a thread on the topic. Letting people share details about the collected and special editions of books they own as well as any details on current or future special printings to come.

Personally I own very few and the one that always comes to my mind is my copy of The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien, illustrated by Michael Hague - who's depiction of Smuag on the front cover and over two pages inside, has always been the defining reference for him in my view. The other illustrations in the book are equally fantastic - loads of detail and careful artistry and a joy to behold as one reads the story.

Loads! My husband collects books.

Several illustrated editions including The Stand, Salem’s Lot, Lewis Carroll, Mark Twain. Nice boxed set LOTR and gorgeous Annotated Hobbit. Boxed, signed Robert Pirsig. Honestly. Come visit. You’ll stay for a year :D

Interesting topic, Overread.

I generally haven't set myself to acquire such books, but I did snap up an edition of Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner about 40 (!) years ago that was illustrated by Mervyn Peake. Not sure I'd do that now! The kind of "special edition" that I do buy is annotated editions of various classic works (Penguin, Oxford), but that's different from the subject of this thread.

Interesting topic, Overread.

I generally haven't set myself to acquire such books, but I did snap up an edition of Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner about 40 (!) years ago that was illustrated by Mervyn Peake. Not sure I'd do that now! The kind of "special edition" that I do buy is annotated editions of various classic works (Penguin, Oxford), but that's different from the subject of this thread.
I know you don't like too many books hanging around Ex, so I'll take that one off your hands if it's in your way. :whistle:

Here's an image from the Peake-Avon edition of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, showing the "Nightmare 'Life-in-Death'":
peake avon.JPG