Writing two different novels at the same time?

I only write short stories. Often, I'm working on multiple stories at the same time. I find it helps me go back to other stories feeling refreshed. I feel better actually writing something than being stuck on something else. I don't consciously divide the time up.

I've just remembered when reading your posts; I used to struggle getting back into some voices, even getting tenses mixed up between stories. I don't seem to any more.

I've tried writing a novel and short story at the same time, and it was okay, but not really what I enjoy. I don't mind sketching out future novels while I'm writing one, but actually writing two novels at once wouldn't work for me—my worlds would keep interfering with each other. But I can write nonfiction at the same time as fiction.

However, if you can do, then very good. You'll go far.

I'm currently working on 4 at the same time, though I'm largely focusing on only one. I keep a writing journal for 'seed' ideas when they pop to mind so I don't forget them. I also have separate 'notes' files for each book that I'm working on so when scenes, characters, concepts, etc. come to mind that I'd like to use in that book, but don't have the place for it yet, I have a record of it for later.

I barely have the time to work on one. If you have time, and your brain can focus on multiple WIPs, then it would maybe be a productive way to go.

I have limited time to write, so if the words aren't coming that day I work on developing another idea.

I found when I was writing shorts and a novel at the same time I kept getting sucked into the cycle of sending shorts out, tracking them on the Grinder, getting Rs, sending them back out, finishing and polishing them, and the novel totally got abandoned.

Now I'm at the point where I have a few shorts out but will trunk them when they return and I'm not writing new ones.

I *am* now writing on two novel projects though. One is being revised and the other is in first draft. They are different genres. Because they are so different and in different places I actually find it quite useful to swap between them, otherwise I think it would be more confusing.

Sure it would be 'nice' to be hyper-focused on one thing and make more actual progress, but after all these years I'm not sure I work like that. Two novels may be slow but still better for me than a gazillion shorts and a novel.

I've been bouncing back and forth between three with another two whispering at me in the wings.

To be honest, I've found it's not a good place to be. My writing quality and quantity has gone backwards so much that I'm getting fed up staring at the screen.

But each to their own, if it works then great.

if it works then great

Ha! It doesn't. (At least, not for me.) Since starting this thread I've been going back and forth between the two and got almost nothing done on either one. I think I'll just have to shelve the new thing for now and focus on the older novel first — clearly trying to juggle two at the same time is not my style...

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful responses, though! It's always interesting seeing how other people's process works. :)

Ha! It doesn't. (At least, not for me.) Since starting this thread I've been going back and forth between the two and got almost nothing done on either one. I think I'll just have to shelve the new thing for now and focus on the older novel first — clearly trying to juggle two at the same time is not my style...

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful responses, though! It's always interesting seeing how other people's process works. :)

That's exactly what I found.

I can set one aside and work on the other but that has to be at least over a month.

Last edited: