websites and hosting

Scookey

Author of the AD2045 sci-fi series
Hi,
Am in the process of wanting to transfer a domain from my 1and1 hosting package to a friend's 1and1 hosting package but seem to be blocked by 1and1 and every turn.
Not giving up yet but as far as I can tell, I need to allow the current domain to expire then get my friend to buy it again on my behalf. To make matters worse, unless I cancel my hosting package renewal 3 weeks before it expires, it will auto-renew for another year, but by cancelling it the current website gets taken down - leaving some 3 weeks with no website and all the issues that brings with it.
If the domain name in question had not been bought through 1and1 it would simply be a matter of transfering it as external domain.
Aaaaaah.
Wasn't going grey but think I am now. Anyone had any luck with anything similar?

You should contact 1and1 to assist you in the domain transfer. Each service provider have particular interfaces and is not easy to advise, but
- registrars offer domain transfer services as well, so there is no need to let the domain expire and then your friend buy it again. If you do that, you risk to loose the domain, as someone else can snatch it before your friend can buy it.
- you can move the site prior to domain transfer to be completed, so when is done just change the nameservers and it should be up and ready in 15 minutes.
- cancel your current 1and1 after the operation is completed.

Thanks.
Will phone them again tomorrow. Have done such moves before but never from 1and1 to 1and1. Will post the results. Fingers crossed....:)

The results:
Still annoyed by what had been told on the phone on New Year's Day, rather than call 1and1 again I simply checked online to check the cost of transfering my domain to another provider then took the plunge and cancelled my hosting package via their control panel - which only gave the option to cancel everything. Did it anyway. Interestingly it only cancelled the hosting renewal and didn't touch my ad2045.com domain ownership or the website while the rest of the hosting period remains.
If had been given that as an option on the phone or not had the scare-mongering from their control panel would probably be staying with 1and1 but they had been acting like an abusive partner and who needs an abusive partner? The final result is I will still be moving the domain to another package, with another provider and if the website has to go down for a few days then so be it.

The marvels of UX (user experience design) :)
I bet the interface was messed up by some management idiot who thinks that forcing the user to stay/choose his products/services will generate more sales.