Submissions masterthread?

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
Was just wondering whether it would be useful to have a masterthread listing all the anthologies and magazines accepting submissions and when their dates are/open submission periods? I'm currently digging through for short story submission places and I can't see anything like that and I think it'd be useful.

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
Why not start such a thread yourself? If enough people post useful information in it, I imagine one of the admins or mods will stick it.

Juliana

Juliana Spink Mills. "No capes!"
Supporter
A useful resource for SF/F/Horror is author Gwendolyn Kiste's blog. Every month she does a submissions roundup with some interesting ideas. Here's December's as an example:

End of Year Fiction: Submission Roundup for December 2018 | Gwendolyn Kiste

But I love the idea of a dedicated thread. Sometimes people post submission calls up in Traditional Publishing, so maybe this could be a sticky there?

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
Why not start such a thread yourself? If enough people post useful information in it, I imagine one of the admins or mods will stick it.
Because I wanted to see whether people would post open information on it; also see whether there was any opposition to the idea that means opening one would be a bad idea.

And I think that if the thread is a good idea, it'll do better for having Brian or another member of staff open it and promote it so that more people know and start adding to it.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm currently digging through for short story submission places and I can't see anything like that and I think it'd be useful.
You're welcome to post anything you find up - short stories isn't something I look at, but I do post anything I think might be helpful to other members. Mark Lawrence credits our thread on agents to submit to for getting him published. :)

mistri

I use The Submission Grinder (https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/) to look for new places to submit to. It can feel a bit overwhelming when you first start using it and don't know the markets but I find it invaluable.

I usually add a piece, search for markets, sort by pay, start at the top (with the 6 cent markets where I will inevitably get rejected) then work my way down.

thaddeus6th

The Sunday Times Short Story award looks tasty. A £30,000 prize for one, and five £1,000 prizes for runners up. Those who reach that level have to attend the ceremony in London.

The 2019 Short Story Award | Short Story Award

There's a full T&C set, but a few things to note include the story must be under 6,000 words, be unpublished at the start of the year, and a few formatting guidelines (but it's nice and easy, no faffing about with headers and the like).

Probably the biggest restriction is that you need to have been previously published (ie not 'just' self-published) but the terms look broad enough to include those who've had short stories included in one of the anthologies, as per Tickety Boo, Woodbridge, Dust etc.