January 2019 Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gateway finished - overall I liked it, but it did finish a little oddly for me, more from lack of detail than anything else, but it did make for another abrupt conclusion.

Next up The Diploids - Katherine MacLean.

Space Carrier Avalon by Glynn Stewart..
The first in a 6 mil sci fi book series, I'm trying this one before I get (maybe!) the rest of them

Started this:
Image (263).jpg

Since it was the last story in this:
Image (186).jpg

I decided to read my paperback edition rather than drag this massive hardback from coffee shop to coffee shop. As is usual with Christie it starts off as a winner and will probably end as such.

Yeah, the new reading year is going well having just finished Cibola Burn by James S.A Corey. (Book 4 in the Expanse series.) Now on to book 5. Nemesis Games.

Gateway finished - overall I liked it, but it did finish a little oddly for me, more from lack of detail than anything else, but it did make for another abrupt conclusion.

I would say the reason for that is that the story is not finished. --- The story thread finishes with book 3. Book 4 is largely another story.

Book One: GATEWAY
Book Two: BEYOND THE BLUE EVENT HORIZON
Book Three: HEECHEE RENDEZVOUS
Book Four: THE ANNALS OF THE HEECHEE

I just finished Unfathomed by Ralph Kern. This story has a great premise and is well paced, with enough twists and turns to keep it interesting all the way through. Until it was revealed toward the end, I never guessed the nature of the events they were experiencing. Yet, it all made sense and came together nicely. My main issue with this story is that the character "voices" are too similar to each other for the diverse backgrounds given. Overall, this was a good adventure.

Finished reading Under the Pendulum Sun. I admire the ingenuity of it, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it as a story. It's one of those things Angry Robot likes to publish from time to time, hard to classify, hard to find anything to compare it to.

And then I read "The Witch of Duva" by Leigh Bardugo, a short story written in the manner of a folk tale. I liked it a lot but it was very short, most of the "book" being taken up with a preview of Shadow and Bone—a good way to introduce the series, I guess, for those who have not (as I have) read it already.

I finished reading the second Vatta’s War novel by Elizabeth Moon: Moving Target. I really enjoyed it. I think these are good Military SF, and I prefer them to Weber and Bujold.

And now, I’m going back in... I’m going to start the third book in Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun, The Sword of the Lictor. Wish me luck :)

Currently reading part one of GRRM's A Storm Of Swords.
So easy to read(even for a slow reader like me). So much to enjoy:)

The ebook for Ready Player One was only 99p on Amazon a few days ago, so I picked it up. Thought I'd glance at the opening last night, and am now 30% the way through and very much enjoying it. :)

Last edited:
Stalled a bit on The Picture of Dorian Gray, largely because of one long, florid chapter that seems to serve no purpose whatsoever.

So I've started Hammer of the Gods by Stephen David, about Led Zeppelin. This is the second bio of the band I've read, and I'm not sure I can quite explain the fascination: I like some of their tracks, but I wouldn't really call myself a fan.

The ebook for Ready Player One was only 99p on Amazon a few days ago, so I picked it up. Thought I'd glance at the opening last night, and am now 30% the way through and very much enjoying it. :)
it's a very fun book. Armada is interesting also

Just finished Leigh Brackett's Alpha Centauri or Die!, in a nifty old Ace Double. Really, it has a kind of dei-ex-machina conclusion, but it's pretty entertaining getting there.

I've now started an obscure novel from 1925 (in the American edition, anyway), The Rector of Maliseet, by Leslie Reid. It starts just delectably, with the narrator riding in a darkening, solitary third-class train carriage through a changing landscape (into the west of England), and getting out at a tiny rural station and starting to walk at night towards his destination five miles away.

How Leslie Reid's The Rector of Maliseet (1925) starts is very appealing to me:
rector of maliseet 1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back