DISCUSSION THREAD- January 2019- 75 Word Writing Challenge

This is the obligatory reminder that Tudorpunk and "In the style of Kipling" are both forever banned...

At first I thought you were joking, but now that I know one of those, at least, actually happened, I'm curious - I'm going to have to look up what the results of those were.

next month's theme already sorted.....

Drat, drat, and double drat! I hadn't thought my first choice would be that obvious.

Next month, I'll try to be a bit more original with my entry - although I am struggling with my writing at the moment. Any tips to get out of a funk dump?

Normally, I'd say "Take a walk." (No, seriously. Some of my best thinking is done while pacing about in a nearby field.) So - presuming, of course, that it's warm enough where you are that you won't freeze in the attempt... take a walk.

At first I thought you were joking, but now that I know one of those, at least, actually happened, I'm curious - I'm going to have to look up what the results of those were.

Drat, drat, and double drat! I hadn't thought my first choice would be that obvious.

Normally, I'd say "Take a walk." (No, seriously. Some of my best thinking is done while pacing about in a nearby field.) So - presuming, of course, that it's warm enough where you are that you won't freeze in the attempt... take a walk.
It's kinda both. They both apparently happened before my time here, and have become a bit of a running joke in the challenges. Only creatures of pure evil would inflict such genres on the rest of us... you know who you are... The other running joke I know of is @Phyrebrat's hatred of all things feline... any others?

We seem to have had a run of fairly benign genres of late. Not to tempt fate but I've always rather enjoyed the more obscure ones since they tend to push you out of your comfort zone as a writer. They're also better as writing prompts than the rather generic 'speculative fiction' default.

We seem to have had a run of fairly benign genres of late. Not to tempt fate but I've always rather enjoyed the more obscure ones since they tend to push you out of your comfort zone as a writer. They're also better as writing prompts than the rather generic 'speculative fiction' default.
You are right, but at least for me, if it is too obscure, I won't know where to start. Some of the steampunk and cyberpunk ones have been good practice for me. Something like Tudorpunk, however, would basically guarantee that I couldn't participate that month.

You are right, but at least for me, if it is too obscure, I won't know where to start. Some of the steampunk and cyberpunk ones have been good practice for me. Something like Tudorpunk, however, would basically guarantee that I couldn't participate that month.

It's true, there's a fine balance. There have been some that I've literally never heard of but, after a little research, I've felt comfortable enough to take a stab at them.

How about Picturesque, Prehistoric, Quantum, Shenmo, Bizarro or Slipstream.

All real genres. I could be digging myself into a hole here and ending up never getting any votes again just in case I'd win ;)

Congrats @Artoriarius .... I've lived through Tudorpunk and "in the style of Kipling" and some other obscure "thank my lucky stars for Google" styles and themes. And my sense is that these things tend to run in bunches. For awhile we will do things that seem to be made up of a lark 4 or 5 authors went on, and then comes along a time we will do more mainline stuff. (Or as mainline as you can get in speculative fiction.)

How about Picturesque, Prehistoric, Quantum, Shenmo, Bizarro or Slipstream.

All real genres. I could be digging myself into a hole here and ending up never getting any votes again just in case I'd win ;)
Uhhh...well... prehistoric may work, as long as it is what it says on the tin... and I am guessing Bizarro is a Weird subspecies... Shenmo sounds like a style of gardening or interior design, though.

Did a quick Google of "Shenmo" and it sounds like you would need some knowledge of Chinese gods and demons to write. It's a big ask for an American SF and mystery junkie like me.

Yikes! having come rather late to this party, I guess I have been having it easy with the recent themes. In the style of Kipling !? You lost me there.

Yikes! having come rather late to this party, I guess I have been having it easy with the recent themes. In the style of Kipling !? You lost me there.
It was the June 2011 challenge.

The theme was Nourishment and the person who chose the genre -- who shall remain nameless (though possibly not for very long) -- said, "I would like it written in the style of Rudyard Kipling."

The winning story was by mosaix.

It was the June 2011 challenge.

The theme was Nourishment and the person who chose the genre -- who shall remain nameless (though possibly not for very long) -- said, "I would like it written in the style of Rudyard Kipling."

The winning story was by mosaix.
Two things:
This has been going on for a long time. Kudos to the creativeness of our forum members.
Secondly. Those entries were amazing. Talk about stepping up to the plate!

Back