DISCUSSION THREAD- January 2019- 75 Word Writing Challenge

I might do a blog about my one but, for now... Nixie told me to get myself into gear and write a story on the same day that a Northern Irish poet called Padraic Fiacc died. He's not especially well known as he decided to eschew the lyrical route and to write about the 'Troubles' instead - and quite politically. But he did some gorgeous poems, one of which I knew well as a teenager called Goodbye to Brigid, which includes the second stanza:

My little girl, my Lamb of God
I'd like to set you free from
Bitch Belfast as we pass the armed-to-the-back-teeth barracks and
Descend the road into the school grounds of broken windows from
A spate of car-bombs, but don't forgive me for not.

At the time, people were leaving Northern Ireland for just about anywhere else and any parent who chose to stay had guilt around that. As most people here know, I'm Northern Irish to my back teeth, so suffice to say my family stayed (well out of the main trouble spots, to be fair).

In addition to that, Michael Longley wrote a poem about an ice cream seller who was killed during the Troubles (a distant relative of mine, as it happens) and he lists the ice cream flavours as part of the poem:

Rum and raisin, vanilla, butter-scotch, walnut, peach:
You would rhyme off the flavours. That was before
They murdered the ice-cream man on the Lisburn Road.

I tried to get that vibe and rhythm into my list of influences BUT, also, I'm surrounded by poets over here (I love them all dearly, but it's like a tribal run of them! :D) and I wanted to list some of my influences, so those au fait with our genres will see reference to Bob Shaw, James Whyte, Ian McDonald and CS Lewis as well as the poets.

As I said, when I posted it, I didn't expect many to get the nuances within the little tale - so was delighted it got as many mentions as it did. :)

Since I had @Teresa Edgerton in a near tie for my vote, this was easy. But @Artoriarius wrote a unique story that is worthy of this run off.

-------

The idea for my story came from a funeral I went to where the pastor referred to Ephesians 3:17b-19

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

It was a picture that really stuck in my head because subconsciously I was searching for a 75 word story.

@Jo Zebedee I went back and read your poem again. The connection between Padraic's poem and your line about the child "not taken" away gives the whole thing real depth and resonance. It is a quality piece of work! I hope you can get it to a wider audience.
Thank you - I’m glad it worked with the additional resonance. The NI lot might like it. I’ll see if I’m brave enough to post it elsewhere :) xx

Mein Gott! Cor, blimey! Goodness gracious me! (& other Terms of Astonishment)

Here's proof, if any be needed, that I don't handle being complimented very well: I've just spent most of the past hour trying to figure out how to respond. Thanks very much to everyone who voted for me; and my compliments to Teresa for writing such a good story herself. I won't lie - I half-expected to log on and find she'd won; and I wouldn't have been surprised if the vote had been even closer.

...Now I need to figure out what next month's theme will be, don't I? This calls for some tea and thinking...

Mein Gott! Cor, blimey! Goodness gracious me! (& other Terms of Astonishment)

Here's proof, if any be needed, that I don't handle being complimented very well: I've just spent most of the past hour trying to figure out how to respond. Thanks very much to everyone who voted for me; and my compliments to Teresa for writing such a good story herself. I won't lie - I half-expected to log on and find she'd won; and I wouldn't have been surprised if the vote had been even closer.

...Now I need to figure out what next month's theme will be, don't I? This calls for some tea and thinking...
This is the obligatory reminder that Tudorpunk and "In the style of Kipling" are both forever banned...

Congratulations, btw! Great story.

Sorry I wasn't able to participate this month; I was working on a story of an elder god growing to maturity under the Earth's crust and cracking it like an eggshell, but I couldn't quite get it the way I wanted...

Congratulations Artoriarius!

I watch paranormal investigation shows so when this came up, I made up a scenario. However improbable it may have been. To be honest, I always wondered what it would be like to investigate a haunted house.

"Congratulations Artoriarius and commiserations Teresa." I copy/pasted from mosaix. :)
Close race with two very good and very different stories. Well done, both authors.
And, as always, looking forward to the new theme/Challenge for the coming month, CC

Congrats @Artoriarius. Your tale came in my original top 3 so the tie break was easy.

Next month, I'll try to be a bit more original with my entry - although I am struggling with my writing at the moment. Any tips to get out of a funk dump?

Back