DISCUSSION THREAD- January 2019- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Present :).

Good thing you do those reviews, there are some entries which I don't really get.

Grins.... Glad you are here! However your comment gives me some pause. I have been completely mistaken on a story more than once. One thing that I find helps me a bit is that when I run across a word I am not sure of I go look it up. I most certainly am not up to speed on myths and mythical creatures. I also occasionally find that what I think is a fictional place is in fact a real one. This new information often plays a significant part in the development of the story. As you know, when you are working up against a 75 word limit each word needs to carry the maxim freight.

Hello my friend! Firstly..thanks (as always) for taking the time to review & comment, Second...I think it's the January malaise...everything's in semi-hibernation; even our fellow Chrons!

Probably so. Also there is the mid month malaise in story production. You have the early birds, who usually post at least by the fifth day (this might be as much as a third of the posts). You have the middle posters from day 5 to day 23 (another third). And then the tail enders who post from day 24-28 (the last third). When you are in middle cycle things get very slow.

Struggling to come up with anything readable at the moment. I either need a break from the 75 or it'll have to be a last minute fudge.

Still hopeful for Hsalf, the God of Inspiration in their guise of a seagull, to land a holy dollop on my head.

@Culhwch .... The Hanging Tree .... Cul shows us a tree where not only the accused are hung, but the guilty are also planted.

@dannymcg .... Square up to Satan .... Danny writes a supernatural tail with a mathematical twist.

@Pedro Del Mar .... The Beanstalk Feeds .... Pedro gives us a scientific insight into a classic children's story, which now does not sound so magical.

@Vaz .... The Tree of Life .... Vaz gives us a peek at an epic Norse story of regeneration.

Reactions: Vaz
Well I have written a 75 and to be honest feel quite happy with it (which makes a change). Or leastwise I did until I sent it to a friend for his valued opinion.

Plagiarism

That was his response.

I must admit to being somewhat taken aback. In the past I have "borrowed" characters or situations (as with James Bond in the recent Spy Fiction challenge) but I have never knowingly taken another persons ideas beyond the obvious such as FTL and teleportation (yes I have to admit that portals are not my invention).

I challenged him to show me the story he is referring to but he cannot remember the author or when he read it, only that it was a long time ago and as I am old and he is ten years my senior, that is a lot of memories to trawl through. He cannot even recall if it was a novel or short story, although he is leaning toward the latter. I have given him until deadline day to produce or I will post - though to be honest I probably will just try and write something else as he has taken the gloss off my first effort.

I am tempted to run it by @dannymcg because he has a fantastic record on the book search forum.

I told him that two (or more) people could come up with similar ideas but he thinks I probably read it when I was young and have just forgotten about it. If anything that makes me feel worse :unsure:

I am curious to know who can be 100% original in a 75 word story, when many of them tap into a well known universe (from other stories/myths) to expand the meaning of the story.
From my point of view you have little to worry about plagiarism, but then again, is your worriment you need to overcome.

Last edited:

Back