DISCUSSION THREAD- January 2019- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Mad Alice

From Earth; Mad House of the Universe
DISCUSSION THREAD- January 2019- 75 Word Writing Challenge:

Here's this month's discussion thread.
Please read first post January 2019- 75 Word Writing Challenge, before posting an entry.

Challenge Rules:

Write a story inspired by the chosen theme and genre in no more than 75 words, not including the title

ONE entry per person

NO links, commentary or extraneous material in the posts, please -- the stories must stand on their own

WHEN WRITING YOUR STORY, PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A FAMILY-FRIENDLY FORUM

All stories Copyright 2019 by their respective authors
who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here

The complete rules can be found at RULES FOR THE WRITING CHALLENGES

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, 23 January 2019

Voting ends at 11:59 pm GMT, 28 January 2019

You do not have to submit a story in order to vote --
in fact, we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing a winner

The Magnificent Prize:

The Dignified Congratulations/Grovelling Admiration of Your Peers

and the challenge of choosing next month's theme and genre

Theme:

Root

Genre:

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror

We invite (and indeed hope for) lively discussion and speculation about the stories as they are posted,
as long as it doesn't involve the author explaining the plot

** Please do not use the "Like" button upon entries **

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20190101_041400.jpg

Well, we are off!
Sorry for the delay. I didn't receive word back until just a bit ago that my topic had been deemed acceptable, either from my phone maliciously not pinging or my not minding it.
Entirely my fault in being so inobservant (which of course I blame upon too much New Years and not pulling my head out of the bucket soon enough from a bad batch of Scrumpy).
Anyways, Happy New Years and have at it!

And half of the Chrons, suddenly wonder, What the hell is Scrumpy?*

Anyone outside the UK (and not expats) answers and guesses please.

*I of course do know, being in the right area of the UK...

@Graymalkin That was brilliant, made me laugh throughout.

I do believe the first time I got hammered (very intoxicated) a looong time ago it was on Cider. To say I was not very well afterwards would be an understatement.

I believe there is a slight difference between Cider and Scrumpy, although technically a cider, it is a lot rougher, stronger, possibly with bits in it ;) and particular to the Westcountry (England)

@Perpetual Man@ I agree there's a distinction but having tried various varieties of cider and scrumpy I found JJU straddled the line in taste and strength quite nicely.
Whatever the tipple, responsible drinking is of course to be advocated at all times,
1546353934898.png
I understand.

T'were a truly evil drought.
All pink and pleasant from them adding elderberries, and so pretty and fizzled up like that kid stuff Ribena sparkler.
But the nasty wee men would be off their feet dancing in gloating and in glee if you should dare raise a glass of that witch hard brew.
"Oh its the New Year, Alice. Have a glass Alice. I'll stand ye a pint of the good stuff."
Well one pint I thinks where's the harm, the night is cold and I've only the cat to home.
So it's not good Guinness nor even a fairy fair Hobgoblin from Wychwood's wares. But sumwat the owner brews up in the basement I find later. Gentrified Poteen.
Nasty sweet stuff of pear and apple and berries mixed, too. Probably over sweetened to encourage the carbonation.
Cask it now til domesday and you might have something worth filling a glass with. But until they get their brews refined, heaven save us from the perils of the small craft batch amateur.
Yes sirs and ladies I was judicious in the amount I ingested.
But that fizzy stuff would land the god of hammers and thunder on his bum.
And as soon as I find my football cleats I will be having a word more or less about the duties of friendship with he who stood the round and inferred it to be worth the drinking.

Champagne get's my swerve on right quick. Mead is my goto, though cold Saki has come up the lists. Straight shots are fine for sipping on. But I dont drink anything fast enough for beer to taste good after 1/3 a good bottle. Have to stopper and fridge it for a day and a half to get back to.

Cheers! *lifts water bottle*

Sweet. Is this the discussion thread or'n the story'n? Words are the real measure wot make'sma dizzy. *lifts thimble*

Happy New Year!

I got the story down, but the more I read it, the worst it gets. It needs a rewrite.

Root? Nice topic there, Mad Alice. "Horror", too? Good.
<Wanders off to ponder....it'll surely not be pretty>

Is this a record? 24 hours in and we don't have an entry

I've written something but I never submit for at least 24 hours so that I can look at it again cold.

In the past I have binned what I regarded as a fictional tour de force only the day before.

Mind you, even if I don't bin it immediately it may be some time before it sees the light of day as I am frequently wracked with self doubt.

Back