DISCUSSION -- JANUARY 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#32)

@Ursa major I think I've spotted a little copy 'n' paste faux pas for the January 300 poll
POLL -- 300 Word Writing Challenge -- No 32 (July 2018) -- READ FIRST POST!

january300.png

I have a stealth vote from Elvet. Many thanks. :)

Edit: having said that I now see that it isn’t a stealth vote at all. :)

The Judge tempts the reader's palate with a playful account of the creation of the Water of Life. The way in which a classic tale is turned inside out adds to the sparkling delight of this aperitif.

Ursa major draws a strong contrast between a creator's intention and the assumptions of observers. By making the difference between reality and perception as wide as possible, we learn to be careful about how we interpret what we see.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

This was a particularly difficult challenge. My votes go to those authors who did the best job of taking me into worlds I had never imagined.

drmatteri

chrispenycate

LittleStar

Last edited:
Wow, this was tougher than I thought. My votes went to:

@Victoria Silverwolf - a bone-chilling tale, expertly woven that hooked my straight away!

@Cat's Cradle - a really inventive portrayal. Loved following it through to the conclusion.

@Phyrebrat - beautifully tragic, loved the reveal and having the rug pulled out from under me!

Shortlist:

@Cathbad
@Cory Swanson
@Peter V

Another tough month

Honourable mentions
The Travels of Sir Reginald Rigmarole, Part 94 - @Dan Jones
It Has Your Eyes... - @D3athw4lker

Votes
The Clockmaker's Daughter - @Victoria Silverwolf
When is a door not a door? - @dannymcg
Rocinante - @LittleStar

I tried applying some criteria in my choices, which, as it turns out, means my own entry failed miserably :cry:

Yeah, I messed up with my voting and only voted for one instead of three.
Indeed, a sad oversight, but what a deserving cause for the single vote!:D

A dozen or so rhyming couplets in an attempt at iambic hexameter, except I couldn't quite get the iambs.
If you attempt to quote directly from songs within the structure you'll be forced to accept the rhythm pattern of the song, and the Floyd number is dactylic, not iambic - which would require dactylic tetrameter.

So, my short list this quarter ran to:- Cathbad, D3athw4lker, johnnyjet, , Luiglin, Phyrebrat Rafellin, The Judge and Victoria Silverwolf . Votes went to Luiglin, Phyrebrat and Victoria.

Many thanks to dannymcg, Heather Myst, nixie and Victoria Silverwolf for the votes, Daysman for the mention and, as each time, Victoria for the review.

And additional thanks to Heather Myst, nixie and Vaz who have already voted despite not having submitted a piece to be voted for.

Back