DISCUSSION -- JANUARY 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#32)

Well, I've entered a 300 Word Challenge for the first time in several years. I quit entering before because I just couldn't afford the time to develop a 300 word story while I was working. I'm retired now, so.... But when I look at the quality of the stories already posted I'm worried that mine is not nearly up to those standards.

Welcome! I'm glad you've joined in - I've always enjoyed your 75-worder entries so the more the merrier. Personally, I find the 300 worders incredibly rewarding - they really let you stretch your legs (and imagination) in ways that you just can't in 75.

I fear I have written something that requires a ton of context known only to me this month. Ah well, I really enjoyed writing it so nyer.

chrispenycate delineates, in a few strokes, the culture of a world entirely different from our own. The combination of mechanical and biological technology results in a unique vision of the way things might have been.

Well there you are, my effort.

A dozen or so rhyming couplets in an attempt at iambic hexameter, except I couldn't quite get the iambs.

As an added bonus, I've made reference to half-a-dozen songs, some obvious, some obscure. (There might be some in there by accident)
Can anyone spot them all?

Peter V looks deep into the thoughts and emotions of a character who only wants to do an important job to the best of his ability. The shattering revelation which changes what he thinks about the world has a powerful effect on the ruler.

M. Robert Gibson delights the ear with a merry rhyming travelogue that takes us on an extraordinary journey. The way in which this poem's envoi brings us back to Earth makes us ponder the importance and dangers of daydreams.

I just caught "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (Pink Floyd) and "Life on Mars" (David Bowie). I'm not sure if "Blue Jeans" (Bowie) was intended or not.)

LittleStar pays tribute to a literary classic in this moving tale of one whose dedication to an ideal is not enough to hold back the ravages of time. Through one character's experience we learn that change is inevitable.

Ok no more entries please! I have everything ready for voting.

...eeehhh @Ursa major et al.
As it happens, I'm about to set up the poll (as I'm out for most of the evening and need the time after I come back to come up with a story and write it :eek:)... but I always make sure (to the extent that it's possible) that I can add new entries as they arrive.

By the way, the voting is open for more than two weeks, so you will have plenty of time to be ready for voting again....

The challenge is now closed to new entries. A poll will appear shortly.

Yeah, I messed up with my voting and only voted for one instead of three.
And so it goes :mad:

Back