DISCUSSION -- JANUARY 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#32)

scarpelius combines the mechanical with the fantastic to create a unique account of one who does not fit another's preconceptions. Despite the story's humorous tone, it raises serious questions about what it means to be human.

Cathbad spins a magical saga in which the ancient and legendary trades places with the modern and scientific. The reader can only ponder if the decision made by the characters is the correct one.

Rafellin creates a world which is both familiar and strange. By narrating events in a matter-of-fact style, the author makes this parallel plane of existence seem as real as our own.

elvet offers a cautionary tale about mistaking the trivial for the important. The sudden shift in the narrator's perception leads to a climax of great power.

drmatteri envisions the way that history might have gone in a different direction, given changes in technology. By viewing one of the most important and controversial events of the past from another angle, serious moral questions arise.

I got my story posted. Finally. lol. :giggle:

I had this, that, and the other thing to take care of and I actually got around to it. I can't guarantee this version makes any more sense than the original but I hope it does.;)

Well, I doubt it's any worse than Phobia's Pathway. It was a salvage mission more than anything before I posted it really. I had a few more words available but it made as much sense as it possibly could and still be within limit.

At least this wasn't as bad as a college assignment I wrote years ago. *Shudders* Mental Break was just horrid. But that's what happens when you write it about an hour or so before you have to leave.

Karn's Return spins a high fantasy adventure story with an interesting touch of magical technology. What most distinguishes this sword-and-sorcery yarn from others of its kind is the telling characterization of its antiheroic protagonist.

Calliopenjo blends multiple genres into an imaginative mixture of past, future, and times that never were. This open-ended tale offers a great deal of suspense, as well as witty allusions.

Cory Swanson relates a macabre account of curiosity and cynicism leading to unexpected consequences. By telling the story entirely through dialogue, the author allows the reader's imagination to enrich the experience.

There's another. A goofy little thing, but sometimes there's wonder in goofiness...could that be true? As always, looking forward to reading all the entries, CC

ps - @Parson, I hope you will consider entering the 300 worder...it's a whole different challenge from the 75 worder, but it's a lot of fun and allows for a bit more characterization...or world-building...or imaginative flourishes. Maybe try it the one time...see how you like the expanded word count. You might get hooked to the longer format. :)

Last edited:
Luiglin creates a moody and evocative setting seen through the eyes of one who does not understand everything that is happening. Through the judicious use of vivid and unusual metaphors, the contrast between expectation and reality is enhanced.

Back