DISCUSSION -- JANUARY 2019 300-word Writing Challenge (#32)

I know but, to me cogs, pipes, big gauges, copper recipients suggest steampunk.
Truth is that, the wall ensemble in the image is either a steampunk decorative wall, or a museum/art gallery exhibit. I guess you could place the action in our times.

Well, to be fair, we did refer to this as "the steampunk one" in the staff room. :D But it doesn't HAVE to be.

Well, to be fair, we did refer to this as "the steampunk one" in the staff room. :D But it doesn't HAVE to be.
Ok, assuming I actually have time to write something this month (definitely not a given this month), I am going to make it my personal mission to make my story something NOT steam punk... RESIST!

As everyone makes the same decision so as to stand out from the crowd, and we end up with no steampunk whatsoever...

But it doesn't HAVE to be.
For instance, someone might see the shiny pipes, think that they are that way because someone makes sure they do always shine, imagine that those with that occupation might be called pipe cleaners... and then write a story about people who are, or look as if they are, made out of pipe cleaners.

These invented people may even have an intrinsic hatred of people of another type, i.e. small bores....

For this challenge, the title came first. The minute I saw the picture, I knew what I was going to write about. I have knocked out a rough version, and at about 250 words, plenty of room for tweaking.

For this challenge, the title came first. The minute I saw the picture, I knew what I was going to write about. I have knocked out a rough version, and at about 250 words, plenty of room for tweaking.
*growls*

When I find that muse, she better have a good excuse for being late, or I'mma find out what muse-meat tastes like!

*growls*

When I find that muse, she better have a good excuse for being late, or I'mma find out what muse-meat tastes like!
If it helps any, I’ve been working at it all day, and still have a title and a rough version. Having inspiration is one thing, writing a story around it is another.

Started on an idea, aiming for jaded, but hit tedious and cliched instead.

Erased that, flipped the 'jaded' to 'old', and something arrived that might even work.

Ok, finally satisfied with it.
When I first saw the picture, all I could think of is what a magnificent mechanical puzzle that would be to work out. I am an avid adventure gamer, and games like Riven and Myst are full of these contraptions just waiting to be conquered.

I'm beginning to rethink my idea about entering. I'm sure to bring the level of story down several notches. And now @elvet, teaches me an acronym I didn't even know existed, and somehow its a fitting title to a very game story. AFGNCAAP --- I'm rather happy that not all of these apply to me, but I wish a few more did.

Back