99p! Twisty dark fae

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072F44Z8Y/?tag=brite-21

Dark fae. Family secrets. A twisted tale of family, fragile mental health and belonging.

Go and nab one. It’s not a fairy tale. It’s much more than that :)

‘Jo Zebedee’s best ever book’

‘A masterful tale that offers a sensitive exploration of mental health while offering up the tantalising possibility of an ethereal world unseen, yet right beneath our feet.’

I'm halfway through my copy and am LOVING every moment of it!

Engaging and relatable characters brought to life so completely and subtly that I forget I'm reading, not living, this amazing story.

I love it when people like Waters, thank you xx

So few have taken the chance on it, comparatively, mostly because (so I’ve been told) they think it’s a fairy story. This has been my failure in marketing it, I think, and an assumption that people would not expect a sweet fairy story from a dystopic author, and I hope I’ve learned from it.

Suffice to say, this is not a fairy tale. It’s dark, it’s disturbing and people who know the setting tell me they don’t go there after dark easily any more! :D

Jo.
When I read this book, I started to write a review, which I never quite completed, and which I have now.
So here it is. I hope you like it.

Waters and the Wild

When I started reading Waters and the Wild I was afraid that it was just going to follow the new trend of making it impossible to know whether the faeries existed or if it was all just something in the main protagonists imagination. And to be honest thats how it starts.

But having read other books by Jo Zebedee, I really should have known better than to expect only that. For whether in her Science Fiction or her Fantasy novels, Jo starts from a standard format and develops her books where the most such stories rarely reach.
Jo’s stories are always basically about people, and her people have a reality and depth seldom found in print.

The main character is, as a child, caught between believing in her fantasies and doubting her own memories of meeting faerie folk whilst on holiday. She is both irresistibly drawn to, and absolutely terrified of either one.
Now, a teenager, she is unable to have a normal relationship with a boy she has just met at a wedding party, as the old delights and fears take control of her again in the grove behind the hotel.

But that’s just the start.
From there Jo builds the tale of how these events affect the life of the girl, Amy, the boy she meets, Amy’s family and the local community.

Without wishing to give anything away, we learn, though next few days, just how much Amy’s confusion have complicated the lives of her parents, both individually and together, her brother, and now the new boy, Peter.

This is not really a story about faeries at all. This is the story of these people.
Brave and gallant people, weak and confused people, and just ordinary people struggling to cope with extraordinary things, and I found myself constantly asking; could I have behaved so well or so badly in those circumstances. And in generally the answer was yes.

The story never lets up, but also never lets you know where it’s going next.
Each new revelation comes out of the blue and hits you like a thunderbolt, remaining nevertheless absolutely believable

And the ending?
Ah the ending climbs even higher, as all the protagonists race towards the final revelation.
A revelation which I promise will not be what you expect.

I never got the impression this was a fairy story from whatever blurb I read. Maybe I'm just weird and/or the blurb I read was you saying it was not a fairy story.

I like the cover very much and even that implies darkness to me.

P.S. That wasn't the blurb I read. ;)