(Found) Classic sci fi about artisan alien race

bassaiguy

Bear with me: I'm looking for help identifying a classic sci-fi novel that I read when I was a kid. I cannot for the life of me remember the title, but it is a sort of coming-of-age story about a young man who is raised among a race of alien craftsmen. Each of these craftsmen creates a single, perfect example of his art and the boy amazes them by creating one himself and then losing it or giving it away (in the name of love, I'm sure). The book might have been called "On a Silver Planet" or something like that. It was probably written in the early 60s. I'd like to share it with my son Sam who is sort of coming-of-age himself these days, but I don't know where to begin to look. Any guesses?

A friend of mine thinks she read the same book - but also cannot remember the title or author. She thinks it may have been written for the YA market in the 1970s, maybe as late as '76.

It's unusual that nobody has even tried to guess this one. Can you remember anything else at all about the story? Even the vaguest and mistiest hints can sometimes include the details that help someone identify it.

Here's a few more details: the aliens in the story were described as very tall and strong. The book cover showed a tall, silver colored alien looming over a young man. My friend thought the publication date may have been early 1970s rather than 60s. I wish I had more to go on.

Found it! "Ties of Blood and Silver" by Joel Rosenberg. Published in 1984 - so, much later than I thought, but it's got all the classic SF tropes, so I forgive myself for the date.

If anyone can tell me how to amend the title of the thread to indicate Found I'd appreciate it.