Maps

From what I understand, it was done in the hotel grounds owned by the polish designer. I have friends in the Orkneys that would be much aggrieved at their exclusion. No Fair Isle or Shetland either. Still a fine piece of work.

I can only assume they were restricted by space..and perhaps even planning permission...would such a thing be needed for this?

Remember, polish comes from the city .... ;)

Thanks for that image. It's truly memorable.

9788F725-88F2-4A45-9F02-635BD94141AA.jpeg

I expected the Vatican City to be higher, but I see it is only fourth place.

As far as old maps go, and being able to access them for free, the Library of Scotland has one of the best archives here: National Library of Scotland - Map Images
It doesn't just cover Scotland, but Ordnance Survey maps for the whole of the UK, and international maps. You can compare old Ordnance Survey maps to present day Satellite imagery too. There are a lot of old town maps too. It is a really good resource for local history studies.

Last edited:

They seem to have chosen "as close to a circle in general form as possible" as the criterion to meet, but as a circle is the 2D shape whose perimeter is the shortest for a given area, the roundest country would be the one with the smallest Length of boundary length to area ratio, immediately ruling out, for example, countries that have coastlines of which Slartibartfast might approve (such as Sierra Leone).

These old maps would make a great starting point for constructing a fantasy world map!
It'd be nice, just once, to see a quasi-medieval fantasy novel where the world map is done in the same style, and with the same level of style over accuracy, as real medieval maps!

Proves that the UK really is (or was, anyway) at the centre of the world!
And my local bit is still coastline - a small unremarked ‘lake’ between Iceland and Norway, with a bit of access for the top bit of the Outer Hebrides

I’ve seen a similar map showing many millions of years in the future, and my bit remains on the edge of the world.

And my local bit is still coastline - a small unremarked ‘lake’ between Iceland and Norway, with a bit of access for the top bit of the Outer Hebrides
You'd have been a lot closer to proto-Oslo than proto-London in those days - and I dare say there's more than a few people that think it's a shame that it didn't stay like that...