Maps

I love data like this. Find it amazing how many modern fascists claim to be pure or of a country of purity, when the reality is the entire human population has spiralled around the globe since the first bipeds walked the Rift Valley in Africa, some 2 million years ago - from memory (not that I was there or anything, no matter how old my kids call me :D)

Has anyone here read Rachel Hewitt's Map of a Nation: A Biography of the Ordnance Survey?

1545442718877.png

Harpo, would you prefer that a separate thread were started for broader discussions of the enjoyment of maps?

I'm relished topographic maps for years, but I realize this isn't the same thing as focusing on maps in history and history in maps.

I have been in a great place, the Map Library at the University of Illinois. (That was over 30 years ago & things might have changed.)

Here's a review of Hewitt's book mentioned above.

Map of a Nation by Rachel Hewitt – review

Watch this space for a map-related purchase within the next few weeks.

I've just been told about this site
It's a bit slow at times, so be patient.

On this page
If you scroll down you can search for places. One interesting feature is using the slider you can fade in a modern map for comparison.

I'll not post them (unless asked, to not clutter the thread), yet as I researched the old American West for my novel 'Half-Breed,' and Colonial America for my novella 'Mule,' I ran down hundreds of maps. In addition, at one time I researched WWII air combat in New Guinea, and I also have or have found (links) to countless order of battle maps, emplacement design, and base maps and photos.

If anyone is seeking any of that, just let me know and I'll try to save you some time. Below is Mexico~1846:

mexico-1846.jpg

K2

I'm a big fan of book clearance stores, must have at least 5 map based tomes from those places :)

In Bridgnorth library there’s a hand-drawn map of the town and surrounding area dated 1858 and my house is on it!

I've just been told about this site
It's a bit slow at times, so be patient.

On this page
If you scroll down you can search for places. One interesting feature is using the slider you can fade in a modern map for comparison.

I’ve also found it on a map on the archiuk website link, provided by Robert, dated 1888 - 1913.

My house doesn't exist on those 1888-1913 maps. In fact, neither does the whole area. Just some farms.
Phaw! My house doesn't exist on maps before 1970. Nor did the land on which it's build. It was a large body water, 4 meters deep. ;)

But, to be honest, it think it is real cool to find your house on old maps.

A map showing how "scone" is most-commonly pronounced across the UK and Ireland:

A map showing how "scone" is most-commonly pronounced across the UK and Ireland:

Obviously it has to rhyme with 'gone', otherwise that classic joke wouldn't work...

What's the fastest cake in the world?