Maps

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
From what I understand, it was done in the hotel grounds owned by the polish designer. I have friends in the Orkneys that would be much aggrieved at their exclusion. No Fair Isle or Shetland either. Still a fine piece of work.

I can only assume they were restricted by space..and perhaps even planning permission...would such a thing be needed for this?

sknox

Member and remember
Remember, polish comes from the city .... ;)

Thanks for that image. It's truly memorable.

Harpo

Please revive in 2035
9788F725-88F2-4A45-9F02-635BD94141AA.jpeg

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I expected the Vatican City to be higher, but I see it is only fourth place.

As far as old maps go, and being able to access them for free, the Library of Scotland has one of the best archives here: National Library of Scotland - Map Images
It doesn't just cover Scotland, but Ordnance Survey maps for the whole of the UK, and international maps. You can compare old Ordnance Survey maps to present day Satellite imagery too. There are a lot of old town maps too. It is a really good resource for local history studies.

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
Last edited:

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter

They seem to have chosen "as close to a circle in general form as possible" as the criterion to meet, but as a circle is the 2D shape whose perimeter is the shortest for a given area, the roundest country would be the one with the smallest Length of boundary length to area ratio, immediately ruling out, for example, countries that have coastlines of which Slartibartfast might approve (such as Sierra Leone).