Maps

Scookey

Author of the AD2045 sci-fi series
I love data like this. Find it amazing how many modern fascists claim to be pure or of a country of purity, when the reality is the entire human population has spiralled around the globe since the first bipeds walked the Rift Valley in Africa, some 2 million years ago - from memory (not that I was there or anything, no matter how old my kids call me :D)

Extollager

Has anyone here read Rachel Hewitt's Map of a Nation: A Biography of the Ordnance Survey?

1545442718877.png

Extollager

Harpo, would you prefer that a separate thread were started for broader discussions of the enjoyment of maps?

I'm relished topographic maps for years, but I realize this isn't the same thing as focusing on maps in history and history in maps.

I have been in a great place, the Map Library at the University of Illinois. (That was over 30 years ago & things might have changed.)

Here's a review of Hewitt's book mentioned above.

Map of a Nation by Rachel Hewitt – review

Extollager

Watch this space for a map-related purchase within the next few weeks.

Extollager

1546874207934.png

Street Maps of Victorian London, 1863 by Edward Stanford

I've just opened this. This set of four detailed maps should be a good companion to my recent acquisition of Peter Cunningham's Hand-Book to London (1850). I expect to use the maps as a reader of Dickens, Anthony Trollope, Arthur Machen, and other authors. Much of Machen's London writing is post-Victorian, admittedly.