(Found) Post-apocalyptic science-fiction, where a pacifist monk travels the land looking for a high-tech book that was stolen from his order.

Damianwolff

Science fiction fantasy
Long after the end of the world. The setting is vaguely medieval. The monk's order is destroyed when unknown assailants break in to steal an ancient steel book full of moving images and ancient knowledge. As the last member of the order, the pacifist monk crosses the medieval-ish lands, trying to get it back. He is followed by a wretched woman, who is madly in love with him (literally crazy), and remembers him from a time when he was a bloodthirsty general and she was a queen.

Another character in the story is a soldier from a high-tech human community in the Earth's orbit. He is also tracking the assailants, aided by a sentient ship that is mind linked to him, its captain.

I don't remember the name or the cover, but there was a symbol of an upside-down earth on it. I read it in 2013 in Ireland.

It is not A Canticale for Liebewitz or Anathem by Neal Stephenson,

Really want to remember what it is, and really hope it is a series.

I've searched & searched on this without success. Can you recall any other details about the book?

Conducted a quick search and found a Goodreads review of a book partially matching the description:
murderous mercenary turned monk with insane ex, African engineer in medievalesque Scotland, dude possibly from space or something

Another review mentions:
Va and Elenya, a Russian monk and his crazy princess stalker

The guy from space is called Benzamir Michael Mahmood???

Published 2007 - The Lost Art by Simon Morden

Worth a look?

Conducted a quick search and found a Goodreads review of a book partially matching the description:

Another review mentions:

The guy from space is called Benzamir Michael Mahmood???

Published 2007 - The Lost Art

Worth a look?

YES! YES!!!

This is the one!

You have found it!
Thank you! Thanks a ton!

Back