Up To The Throne by TA Frost released - and Free Chapter 1!

Toby Frost

Supporter
up-to-the-throne-toby-frost.jpg

My new book, Up To The Throne, is now out! It's a dark fantasy novel set in a magically-enhanced Renaissance, and tells of how one woman's search for revenge threatens to unbalance an entire city. It's available on Kindle, and the first chapter is free to download from my own website:

Revenge is never simple...

Giulia Degarno returns to the city-state of Pagalia with one intention: to kill the man who scarred her and left her for dead. But Publius Severra is no longer a mere criminal, and has risen to become a powerful politician - and perhaps the only man who can save the city from anarchy. Now, as Severra stands poised to seize the throne, Giulia must choose between taking her revenge, and saving her home.

Up To The Throne is set in a dangerous world of assassins, alchemists and flying machines. It is a world where artists and scholars cross paths with feuding nobles and clockwork monsters - and death is never far away.

Purchase here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L9B3HN5/?tag=brite-21

And read the first chapter here: TA Frost Frost | Up To The Throne

Up To The Throne metallic writing.jpg

Yes, sort of. Apparently, technically speaking, it's "clockpunk" (ie clockwork powered rather than steam) but that does feel rather like splitting hairs. Of course, the Space Captain Smith books have a rather steampunk feel, but more in the Britishness and daring adventure feel than the way the technology works.

It's an interesting one: I wouldn't call Up To The Throne steampunk as such, but only because people might expect a Victorian setting and that sort of thing. I'm also rather wary of calling it Grimdark, because I don't think it's graphic enough. "Clockwork Fantasy Noir", maybe, although that does sound like a brand of luxury chocolates...

Glad you liked it, Harebrain. It's hard to know what to put into a first chapter, but I think it gives a good idea of what the story is about (although it gets much more complicated and the stakes rise as it goes on).

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Teresa, and thank you for posting that link!