The Witchwood Crown (may contain spoilers)

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
I hadn't realised until a visit to Waterstones today that William's has revisited the world of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Picked up The Witchwood Crown book one of the Last King of Osten Ard. Will give my thoughts when I start reading it.

Have read it and it took a while. I was expecting to fly though it but I found it heavy going. That said I found it enjoyable in many parts particularly when events took the narrative away from the court of King Simon and Mirimiale. I found their characters strangely annoying.

Have read it and it took a while. I was expecting to fly though it but I found it heavy going. That said I found it enjoyable in many parts particularly when events took the narrative away from the court of King Simon and Mirimiale. I found their characters strangely annoying.
Have to agree, I'm having the same issues. It is a little over wordy, full paragraphs for things that could be summed up with a few words. To much time focused on Simon and Mirimiale not enough on the injured Sethi.

I am finding this a bit of a slog, it's enjoyable but doesn't draw you in. You start to get immersed in story then suddenly you're back in the mundane world of the royal family, none of them interest me. Morgan really needs to improve so far he has no redeeming traits or anything that can make you relate to him, he's a boring spoiled brat whose only interest is the bottle.

It is tough going. The story does start to come together towards the end. I was surprised somewhat in that it seemed as if Tad Williams had forgotten everything that made the original series such compelling reading. Or it might that I am just older now with different reading tastes in fantasy.