I decided a new path for my psychic female character

Bee22

Okay so since I don't want to make any mistakes in terms of ancient Japanese history, I feel this characters story will work better if I make her a modern to somewhat futuristic psychic girl. Her powers would really on mind control with all sorts of objects. This would have a sci-fi horror like backstory. I wanted to make it that she can form shapes out of thin air with her psychic abilities, turning them into sharp weapons in such to attack you with in mid air. She would be a mix of Carrie, the mutant kids from X-Men and that highly advanced girl Hanna from Hanna. If I want to make her plausible, how do I make her believable that she was created in a lab as a genetically engineered teen girl with psychic powers? Could she have been trained in some combat fighting form while growing up in the lab? And what's a better appearance for her? Blonde featured? Or more dark or brunette featured?

If I want to make her plausible, how do I make her believable that she was created in a lab as a genetically engineered teen girl with psychic powers? Could she have been trained in some combat fighting form while growing up in the lab?

This isn’t really something anyone could make an informed comment on here. The question about making her believable is down to your own skills at the keyboard. It’s such a huge part of actually writing that it worries me you’re asking: it seems like you don’t know your own story or world.

Think about her as a person rather than someone who has a job to do in the plot. Make her real - you make those decisions.

How relevant is how she exists to the present story? If nothing happens in the past relevant to the main story, you could skim and lightly make references to it.

I think what you really need, looking over your other posts here, is autonomy in your writing. We can help out with tips on craft and facts but you’re asking a few questions, the answers which should come from you.

And:

And what's a better appearance for her? Blonde featured? Or more dark or brunette featured?

This is just an irrelevant detail unless hair colour has something to do with powers.

This is another worrying question. Or rather that you think it’s an important one to ask. What colour was Doctor Ellie Satler’s hair in Michael Crichton’s Jurassic Park? no one remembers - or cares. It’s not relevant to her skills as a paleobotanist.

Finally, I can’t help but think you’re missing the fun of writing. Essentially asking what to write about is like a fine artist asking someone what they should paint.

pH

I have noticed that quite a few new, young writers tend to be impatient with themselves and their creative process, which causes them to ask questions of the "experts" on this forum which they really should be asking themselves. Quite frankly, answering your questions here would be doing you a terrible disservice on multiple levels.

First, you will never learn the joy of creating if you outsource your creation. Writing is hard work, but what sustains you through that hard work is the joy of creating a new world with new people doing new things. Should we take that joy from you?

Second, if others create it for you, you will never own it. That isn't to say that you won't have copyright or anything like that, but it will never feel like your own story if it is made by others. You won't fall in love with your characters because they aren't your children.

Third, you will never prove to yourself that you can do it for yourself. Asking all these detailed questions about characterization and such will never build your confidence, but will only build a codependence on the approval of others. You don't need me or anyone else approving your ideas; all you need is your own satisfaction in them. This is true across the board, not just in writing; the more you depend on others to do what you could do for yourself, the less confidence you have to do anything.

Fourth, if we were to hold your hand through designing characters and storyline, suppose you wrote the story and it became a best seller. Then what? Others will want you to write more, and you will not have the tools to do it, because you never learned how to create for yourself. You will either have to come back to us to help you create another story, or you will go at it yourself and not be ready, because your wastebasket will not be full enough of ideas you rejected as you were creating. What you need is to learn the tools of the trade so you can create. And, just in case a certain someone is lurking about (long term members will know who I am talking about), those tools are not stock storylines, characters, or a model of plot development. They are hard earned editing skills, experience in creating, the voice of your protagonist and narrator, skilled use of POV, and support sites like this and TV Tropes, which when used properly can be of immeasurable help. This site is best used, in my opinion, for the critiques and the writing challenges. The former gives you the opportunity to discover weaknesses in your writing to improve upon while you are editing. The latter gives you raw experience which cannot be substituted. It looks like you already posted in the December writing challenge, so good for you in doing so. After the challenge is over, I would encourage you to put it in the improving thread so you can get feedback.

So all this to say, we care too much about your development as a writer to do your work for you. Or, at least I do, and I suspect most here do as well. There may be some who give you what you are asking to your developmental and perhaps financial harm, and I am hoping to give you the framework to avoid that particular trap.

You'll get there. Just be patient with yourself and keep writing.

You're asking questions, which is good, but you're asking the wrong ones of the wrong people.

You need to sit down and have a strict question and answer session with yourself about your own story. So you've already asked and gotten one sort of answer in that you've decided you want to make it modern/semi-futuristic.

So from there you need to start asking yourself other questions such as:
Why was she made in a lab; for what purpose was she made; who runs the lab; why is the lab in existence; who and what led to the research that created her abilities; is she the only one; why is she female; will she be released; has the objective and focus changed over time; is it secrete or openly known; are other labs producing similar research and if so why or why not; what country is it set in; what's the political situation in general; is the lab legal; is there known opposition to it.

These are just a jumbled handful of questions that I'd start to ask myself. By answering them - even if only in rough - it starts to let you build up a world around your character. Many characters are products of their world, setting and upbringing so understanding those elements that go into crafting a person you can start to make a more believable character and also make a world that is more well rounded. It lets you establish themes earlier in the book that will become important later which helps you avoid the kind of writing where everything feels like its being pulled out of the air to suit the story in the now (which can lead to it feel rather forced or fake).

Asking questions is good, but most of these are ones you must ask yourself because its your story. We can't give you meaningful answers because each person reading these questions might interpret and create a different world based on teh tiny bit of building you've presented.

eg you ask what her hair colour should be. It might be important because it defines her powers; it might be that it sets her apart from everyone around her; or just makes her normal; or could be that her colour and style of hair hints at a possible parental linage within the story; could be that it changes when she uses her powers; or might be that she's bald etc... Loads of different possible answers from it having almost no meaning and being there to flesh out the character, through to it being a key focal point for the story.

And what's a better appearance for her? Blonde featured? Or more dark or brunette featured?

Does her appearance matter particularly to you as a writer? Do your favourite writers pay a lot of attention to character appearance, or is it something you remember vividly about your favourite characters?

Either way, I've gotta say my gut instinct is either it isn't all that important - or it is to you, and that's cool, but why are you asking for outside opinions on something this important?

Yes the hair color would have something to do with her special abilities but you guys are right, I'm asking the ring questions and I need to figure it out for myself :(

Maybe cuz I'm just young and nervous that I don't believe in myself as much as I should. For some reason I feel all my efforts will fail. Maybe what I should be asking is if my concept of a psychic teen in a lab has potential or what books, stories or even movies should I research for inspiration?

I'm sorry guys for asking these dumb questions. I don't wanna make anyone write this for me and kill the fun in it from my own writing. I just suck at asking the write questions sometimes becuz I can be a little illiterate at times.

Hope you're all not mad at me for this :( I apologize.

Yes the hair color would have something to do with her special abilities but you guys are right, I'm asking the ring questions and I need to figure it out for myself :(

Maybe cuz I'm just young and nervous that I don't believe in myself as much as I should. For some reason I feel all my efforts will fail. Maybe what I should be asking is if my concept of a psychic teen in a lab has potential or what books, stories or even movies should I research for inspiration?

I'm sorry guys for asking these dumb questions. I don't wanna make anyone write this for me and kill the fun in it from my own writing. I just suck at asking the write questions sometimes becuz I can be a little illiterate at times.

My friend, I don't think anyone is mad at you; we want you to succeed, and succeed because you did it. Confidence will come as you do it more. I will guarantee you one thing, though; you will fail at times. There is a reason I mentioned part of being able to write for yourself is having a wastebasket full of failed ideas. I am not just being poetic here; I have scores of stories and two full universes in mine, not to mention dozens of characters... and I only consider my basket to be half full.

So, my challenge to you is to visualize failing and ask yourself, "So what?" Failing at writing at this stage is, what, writing a story people don't like? You can always learn what they didn't like and modify it, or discard it and start over. You don't have to worry about a professional reputation at this point, and even if you did, that is one solid story away from redemption in most cases.

Another thing to keep in mind, and I mean this with no offense intended to any parties present, is that there are some seriously old people on this site. I am one of the younglings in my 30s, and there are people here who have been writing for longer than I have been alive. Every single one of us learned from failures. Heck, my first 75 word story had improper quotation grammar and could have been interpreted in a somewhat sexist light (not my intention!). So, you don't have to feel like you have to be perfect from the outset. You will grow and learn to improve as a writer. Just give yourself the time.

I'm not mad at you, and I doubt anyone is. We just want you to get to a place where you're happy with your writing and that means pointing out when we think you're on the wrong path. You have nothing to be sorry for.

I totally get the feeling nervous. I've been staring at a manuscript that needs editing for a year because I struggle with it and therefore I get nervous about failing with it. Which also makes my advice totally hypocritical - take the risk and believe in yourself to fix it if things go wrong - but its right. I know its right because I know the alternative is wrong! And I know that its very hard to go and do it when you're low on confidence and are tired of seeing things go wrong. I am hesitant to offer you much advice here - being there is a very personal thing and I don't know you well enough - but that too can be conquered. If nothing else, don't lose that hope.

I would say ask any questions that make sense to you. As you see which questions get the answers that help you the most, you will learn what are important questions and what aren't. And never be afraid to start writing and trust that the answers will come on the way. Even if they don't, you'll be learning something.

As for your new questions:

Yes, I think the concept has potential. I've seen it done before, but that's why I know it has potential. Its not like its a concept that I'm bored of, if its well written I think people will be interested.

Looking for inspiration - that's a rather open ended one. I mean, what sort of story do you want to tell here? A big action adventure? Something introspective? A grimdark tragedy, or something with comic undertones? That's going to influence what's a good inspiration for you. Who's your favourite creators? That'll influence it too.

Personally, I think that it looks like you don't lack for inspiration.

I agree with a lot of what’s been said. I doubt you’ve offended anyone: it’s just a matter of confidence in what you’re writing.

What I’d suggest is this: think about it for a while – not so much about the character, but about the story. What kind of story is this? Basically, what sort of things do you want to write about? You’ll inevitably hear the advice “Write what you know”, which is really “Write what you can depict convincingly”. It may be that the only way to write about a character like this is from other people’s points of view, so that you don’t have to really get inside her head. That might mean that she shows up in town and the person telling the story is the one who meets her. That could be very interesting.

It’s also worth saying that things like the details of magical powers etc don’t matter as much as the character herself being fundamentally believable. Spiderman, for instance, is pretty ridiculous when you think about it, but he works when he’s written convincingly. How does she deal with these powers? The usual answer for people who’ve escaped from labs is “badly, with much angsting”, but it might be more entertaining to make her quite happy with them, or in control of them, or something else provided that it makes sense for that character. It's really a matter of whatever you can make work, which often means whatever works for you.

I find that if I turn a story over in my mind for long enough, the stuff that I don’t want tends to fall away, leaving what really matters. What remains might be quite different from the things that inspired it, or what you originally planned, but that can mean that it’s more original and you’ll be more enthusiastic about writing it.

Try to keep in mind that there isn’t an empirical point at which you reach writing perfection after your training. It’s a process so get into the habit of seeing your work - even finished stories - as parts of your writing growth as opposed to polished diamonds. They might be as polished as you can make them at that point in your training/career.

I think it was Stephen King who said stories are never finished to the satisfaction of the author, but that they escape! :)

pH

Okay I'll try but I know I'm probably going to fail miserably but hopefully that will only be in the beginning of my writings.

Does anyone know what to do to keep your energy going when working so hard on writings? Like is it possible to keep your energy and still stay fit while writing and coming up with ideas for so many hours a day? Cause for me it's troublesome :(

Should I keep a monster drink and x bar by my side? :(

I work on my writing about four hours a day. When I was working (I'm retired), it was less. There was a time when I couldn't spent more than minutes or maybe an hour a day. Plenty of time left for staying fit, etc.

You have a character, and that's good. What's the story? Is she going to overcome some great obstacle? Kill a villain?

Caffeine. I must have caffeine at all times - not just when writing. :p

That's the secret to long life: caffeine.

This is what works for me:

- Only write what you really want to write, so you're keen to do it
- Don't worry about stories of people writing thousands of words in one sitting. Personally, I rarely write more than 500 words in one burst. It's the keeping going that matters.
- Don't worry about getting it perfect on the first go: most first drafts sound awkward.
- In terms of goals, it's often not about working towards the end of the book but towards the next important bit - the end of the scene, chapter or whatever the next "high point" in the story is.
- Thinking about what to write next is often as useful as actually trying to write it.
- Listening to music (preferably an album or playlist, so you don't have to keep changing tracks) can help, but people vary a lot on this.

Okay I'll try but I know I'm probably going to fail miserably but hopefully that will only be in the beginning of my writings.

Does anyone know what to do to keep your energy going when working so hard on writings? Like is it possible to keep your energy and still stay fit while writing and coming up with ideas for so many hours a day? Cause for me it's troublesome :(

Should I keep a monster drink and x bar by my side? :(

I tend to come up with most of my ideas while walking anyway, and to do most of my writing in short 15-30 minute bursts here and there. I find that's a good way to stop myself getting ground down.

Back