Boy takes astronaut uncle's time-travel pills

Annika

A teenage boy who lives in a domed city of the future has an uncle or great uncle who was an astronaut. The uncle had kept these pills that was supposed to help their bodies readjust to the conditions of Earth after being in space. These pills had the effect of transporting the uncle into the past. He tells this to the nephew who takes one and is transported back to WW2 where he saves the life of a German pilot. This has a butterfly kind of effect. ..I've been trying to find this book for ages and it's driving me crazy please help!

I have no idea, but I changed the title of the thread to attract more people who might. :)

Welcome to Chrons!

Book about an astronaut who gives his nephew his pills which cause his nephew to be thrown back into time into the second world war where he rescues a German pilot who later becomes a scientist and enhances space travel causing a loop in the story. pretty sure it came out in the late 80s early 70s, would appreciate any help, cheers.

To save confusion, I'll merge this thread with the one started by Annika just the other week, since both searches are clearly about the same book.