Looking for a short story about two people who wrote letters to each in violation of the law, from the 50s(?)

Steves

Hello, new registrant here ( I'm happy to have found you all!).

I am looking for a short story in a pocket paperback collection from the 50s ( if I recall correctly).

The story is about a boy and a girl (man and a woman?) who started writing letters to each other and the authorities investigated, as it was illegal.

I loaned the paperback out some years ago, the nineties, and the borrower moved and the book...it never came back (lesson learned),

For the life of me I cannot recall any more, any help is most appreciated.

Thank you, Steves

By any chance was there reference to a mail handling machine called "pink wastebasket?"

Hi PaulMmn,

Geez...I wish I could remember more, the story has stuck with me in its most skeletal form.

As I dredged around in my memory it seems the paperback, regardless where the story has appeared elsewhere, had a yellow(ish) cover and red dyed paper edges - which makes it most likely a true "Pocket Book."

Partly why it has stuck with me is that one...and only one...very long-time friend and I write back and forth by postal mail. We might be some of the last?

I sure appreciate any dredging and thinking you and anybody else are doing on my behalf.

Thank you!

Steves

The story with the 'pink wastebasket' was in ANALOG magazine. Several decades ago. The gist of the story was this man who wrote and sent a letter to the love of his life (not sure if she realized it or not). The automated mail system couldn't handle his hand-written letter, and kept sending the letter to more and more sophisticated machines, culminating in 'pink wastebasket,' which had a nervous breakdown (as machines are wont to do). He was brought in and asked why he did it. Love (?) was the answer. The machines couldn't handle the hand-written letter, because all they dealt with was machine-written and coded addresses on advertisements and such.

"The Last Letter" by Fritz Leiber

I'm not sure if it's been collected. I'll have to check that out.

"The Last Letter" was published in the June 1956 issue of Galaxy Magazine. Not sure what anthologies or collections it was in.

Hi all,

This might be it!

From all of your help I looked it up on Project Gutenberg, and a couple of other places.

It was also in Analog magazine in June 1958 according to Project Gutenberg. In my case, I know it was not Galaxy or Analog...because it certainly was a paperback from roughly that era where I read it.

Thank you all for your help.

Now I just need to find the book...sometimes these searches take years. On another front, I just collected the final volumes of a series I started looking for...um...thirty some odd years ago. So many books and so little time, eh?

Cheers!

Steves

Here's "The Last Letter" from the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB) showing all of its publications: Title: The Last Letter

I misread the year of its first publication. It was 1958 in Galaxy Magazine. I think I read it in the Fifth Galaxy Reader.

Here's "The Last Letter" from the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (ISFDB) showing all of its publications: Title: The Last Letter

I misread the year of its first publication. It was 1958 in Galaxy Magazine. I think I read it in the Fifth Galaxy Reader.
I knew I'd read this!

Hi everyone,

Thank you and thank you all, and Johnnyjet - thank you for the database, I did not know it existed.

Cheers all!

Steves

Glad I could help. I found out about that database from this forum. You should stick around. There's lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks here. Great place to hang out from time to time.

Indeed, I'm figuring on keeping this website in my "regulars," it's nice to have a community!

Cheers all,

Steves