Stranger Things - Season 3

It is a problem because the fans cannot really talk about the episodes and give the producers proper feedback. The season 3 is however one of the most viewed shows in the Netflix at the moment.

and more importantly it means I can't read through this thread without the risk of some unintended spoilers! at least with weekly releases you can read up to the reviews of the show you have just watched and then stop if you haven't caught up yet...

as you can see, crucial first world problem...

So the cop and others die because Suzie insists on a sing-along with Dustin before giving the latter the number?

So the cop and others die because Suzie insists on a sing-along with Dustin before giving the latter the number?

Yes, it's kind of sad that it had to be that way, but you can equally blame the writers and producers as the end needed the twists. The bigger problem however was that Hopper wasn't turning that second key. He could have ran away and block the entrance to the control room, instead of fighting in the catwalk with the Soviet brute.

Yes, it's kind of sad that it had to be that way, but you can equally blame the writers and producers as the end needed the twists. The bigger problem however was that Hopper wasn't turning that second key. He could have ran away and block the entrance to the control room, instead of fighting in the catwalk with the Soviet brute.
No one can be certain which link in a chain of events led to a specific result. If I had never been born, then nothing would ever have happened to me.
The song was hilarious. I hope Dustin is prepared for Suzie to be in charge.

• Haha
Reactions: ctg
Watched the first three episodes all in a row last night. Really enjoyed it so far.
I'm hoping for a spectacular end to this season, as the budget is presumably generous for a flagship show such as this.

I finished watching season 3 last night. I thought it got better and better as it went along, after a slow start, and was really motoring at the end. For me, the Dustin/Steve/Robin/Erica scenes were the best bits, and I loved the nods to movies like The Empire Strikes Back, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Aliens, Jaws etc. Better than season 2, I thought.

Better than season 2, I thought.

I agree. It is definitely better than the last season as there was less of the darker scenes. Most of this were scripted like a fun adventure in 80's style. The first thought I had was, 'This series feels awfully similar to the willow movie.'

Don't be so sure that Hopper is dead. The "after the credits" scene where the Russians are dragging a victim off to feed the demi-gorgon starts with them passing a door and one saying to the other,"No, not the American".

Reactions: ctg
No, I don't think we really need to see it anymore. I think we'll see more of it in series 4 but if not then no worries.

I disagree about the slow build up, I felt it was gradual but still engaging and well paced

I disagree about the slow build up, I felt it was gradual but still engaging and well paced

Pacing is difficult to get right, when you have a large audience. There will be always people, who think that it was too slow in places. Others might feel there was not enough of action, even though I believe this season was full of action, especially when the Soviets got the ball running.

So, you're right, it did sped up towards the end of the season, with last four need to be seen almost back to back. I don't think they needed any other episodes to tell the story. I honestly feel that they could not have done better.

well I finished this over the weekend and gotta say it left me disappointed. seems like they left the smart writing and twists and turns of seasons 1 and 2 and decided to go for a standard jump-scare horror series. and then they diluted it even further with the whole Russian base under small-town America thing. the whole thing just didn't grab me in the same way that seasons 1 and 2 did, and I almost found myself watching it just to get through it. to me it lacked some of what makes ST such a great show. I did like the character development but even that seemed rushed.

and there were several things that had me thinking "aww, come on, seriously?" like the Russian thing. putting aside the corrupt mayor being in cahoots with them, there was a Russian base with 10 miles of tunneling under a mall, the mall guards all talking with Russian accents, dudes running around a fourth of july fair shouting in Russian to each other, an immense amount of power being stolen from the grid, presumably a huge number of non-English speaking Russians getting ferried in, and no one noticed? the massacre at the hospital seemed to go unnoticed as well. and there were a lot of flayed that wandered off without anyone seeming too worried.

and Eleven losing her powers seemed a copout too. it was as if the writers realized they couldn't just have her saving the day again so randomly shut her down for no reason that I could see.

I also wasn't keen on the three different storylines running in parallel and not having Hopper, Dustin et al and Eleven et al involved in each others' storylines until 20 minutes from the end.

having said that there were some awesome moments in the show and if I hadn't watched seasons 1 and 2 I think I probably would have really liked it. it was a good watch just not as good as i was expecting. and the ending was super sad and had me sitting for at least 5 minutes after tryin to process it.

One other bone to pick: If I followed correctly, the Mind Flayer made a comeback because some leftover portions remained on our side of the passage to Upsidedownland when Eleven closed the portal. Yet, the key to stopping the new giant tarantula was re-closing the reopened rift?
Some bulldozer-sized chunks of TMF were left in the Starcourt Mall when the dust had settled. I don't think that the Russians need their pet demogorgon to get their program rolling again.

my understanding is that without the link to the "brain" in the upside down, the bits in our world are useless.

my understanding is that without the link to the "brain" in the upside down, the bits in our world are useless.
That makes sense. The monster bits stranded in our world when Eleven closed the original rift remained dormant until the Russians opened the second rift.

also, I wonder what form the mind flayer takes in its dormant state. it was just a whole, bunch of smoke when it left Will and it didn't seem to have any physical form until it inhabited pulped rats and humans. so the bits left over will no doubt rot away and only the flayer essence will hang around like a bad smell...

incidentally what a horrific monster that was, made up of rat/human puree! the unformed pulp reminded me a lot of cooking strawberry jam....

well I finished this over the weekend and gotta say it left me disappointed. seems like they left the smart writing and twists and turns of seasons 1 and 2 and decided to go for a standard jump-scare horror series. and then they diluted it even further with the whole Russian base under small-town America thing. the whole thing just didn't grab me in the same way that seasons 1 and 2 did..
I agree with some of this and also parts of what others wrote. It was still an overall good and entertaining series. But overall a bit more of a kiddy story, and definitely inferior to season 1 and probably 2. I'm glad season 4 will be the last as I'm sure they can pull out another quality year, but don't want to see yet another long decline in a show. ...And I'm being negative just because the first season gave such high expectations. Still good stuff.

The Russian underground stuff was a lot of fun and did feel like something out of the Goonies. but I had thought of Stranger Things as 80s style, but better. This wasn't really better. Still some funny bits, still some drama. The last episode was excellent overall, despite the last 10 minutes of dragging out after the action. Surely Hopper is alive too.
The 80s references are always fun. The creature was like something out of the Blob, but better made.

Actually the main issue other than the Russian base was probably the "bad guy". In the first season you had the superb dark scenes with the creature that 11 could see in the Upside Down world. Then in season 2 it went a bit down with having a big creature, though the portal scenes were cool. In this one we were left with the big creature plus people being taken over to be simple stooges.
The fact that the kids get less cute as they age is simply something that can't be avoided.

I've been avoiding this thread in case of spoilers but I've now just watched the last episode. I really enjoyed it, don't think the quality, story-telling or anything has dropped at all. I love Steve. I love Steve and Dustin. But Steve is the standout character for me - his arc is great. I also think "The American" is Hopper, although how, I don't know - although I guess it could also be Murray as we didn't see him come out at the end there, or did we? Love the little Bob bits. Can't think of anything else to add to the discussion at the mo, other than it's series like this and The Umbrella Academy which make me want to carry on writing.

I'm only half way through this season, but I read some of the posts here already and wanted to comment on those points. I probably won't see the ending until next week so can't comment on that. I actually preferred season 2 to season 3 so far, and I think that is relevant being in the unusual position of watching the three seasons within two weeks. I agree that this season is more adult and more horror. There is much more possession, death and violence. However, that isn't the problem. We already know the lie of the land now, so there are few surprises. The Russian aspect was spoilered at the very start of the first episode! That seems like an odd thing to do. As in the earlier seasons, I liked the episodes that people thought were slow. I found that the multiple different strands that all merged together was good, but in the first two seasons we learnt what was going on as the protagonists do themselves. Here, we were always one step ahead of them and no surprises (at least not yet.) I gather there is a difficult ending so certainly some surprises yet to come.