The Umbrella Academy

I've now read this from Gerard Way: “Diego is on a journey of his own,” Way says. “Diego had to leave the house so he could be Diego and not just ‘Number 2.’ And the only place being Number One got Luther at the end of the day was living alone on the moon. Maybe they’ll learn the numbers don’t matter, as Five did, which is why I feel he embraced his number as a name instead of a rank, and rejected an actual name (which I hope we see one day!).”

Reactions: ctg
I saw the first season months ago. Loved it and am looking forward to S2.

I think this is right sort of stuff for the adults. For teens I'm not sure, but there's many adult themes in there that only comes with mature age. You kind of get them later, while when you're young they might look a bit different. There's a lot to like in the second season, especially as they are not afraid of showing that black lives matter during this time.

It is also interesting that they are showing a different angle to time-travel and living in an alternative time-line. Timeless could have learned from this. Maybe others will. And the thing is, I'm only on third episode. What I don't get is the antagonist, the protectors of the time. What is it for them? What they get out from all of this?

Holy smoke. What a season. It is even more incredible than at the last time and for a second season, they managed to improve on everything. That's a huge thing to do and not so many achieve it. We have seen it so many times, but this series, incredible.

For the note, I couldn't hold back tears at the end. The emotions just overwhelmed me completely. All I can is it's amazing and that I don't want to spoil anything. Just watch it.

It is also interesting that they are showing a different angle to time-travel and living in an alternative time-line.
I've only seen the first episode of the second season. I hope this is true. The 1960's have become a little overused as a time travel destination. I'm also getting a strong Back to Future vibe. Plus being locked in a mental installation knowing the future has been totally done in Twelve Monkeys and in the Terminator franchise. I'm going to watch the rest though.

I'm going to watch the rest though.

Keep watching. It's not like the Timeless, nothing like the Twelve Monkeys, and the Terminator... I leave that for you to find out, but I promise you it's not there. This series doesn't copy from others. It does its own thing and frankly the whole TT aspect is ... rather interesting.

If you think the Agency has similarities to the Twelve Monkeys doomsday cult, you're wrong. The only way you're right about it, if you take the extended version of original Twelve Monkeys movie and use the analogue of that agency to the one in this series.

In movie wise you could try to find an angle from PK Dicks The Adjustment Bureau, and it could be a match, but only something close to 40 percent match.

I am just catching up with this and it is even better than the first season. It has got a great sound track that fits every episode.

Who would have thought matching KISS to a fight scene would be a great idea. That was really cool.

Seen the whole thing to date. I watch it for a single, and perhaps stupid reason. I just like seeing that little snit, Five in action. He strongly reminds me of…uh…ahem, a hard-headed know it all kid I knew who had to be right about everything. Even when he was dead wrong. He got it down pat with that sticking that face out at you. And the confusing stance and body language that said he was either going to tackle you, or run like "hail" so you wouldn't beat the "sheep" out of his snotty "ask."

SPOILERS AHEAD.

Just finished series two last night. I'm a bit surprised by the replies here because I thought it was nowhere near the level of the first series. Nowhere near. I'm a huge Umbrella Academy fan - I've seen the first series more than once, so maybe I'm a bit more critical? But... yeah. I just kinda felt a bit disappointed throughout. The only improvements were Diego and Alison. Luther was reduced to a comedy bit character. Klaus lost any depth. Five was Five still. And Vanya... erm... I don't know what she's like in the comics but it seems now that she's too powerful and I hate that in a character and also, random lesbianism. Is she a lesbian in the comics or have they just done that because Ellen Page is gay? I didn't care for any of the Sissy/Harlan stuff - Vanya can bring people back to life and give them powers. Ok. Eye roll.

I liked Lila. Apart from the stupid power reveal, I feel like that was an anti climax. They were just setting up for a Lila versus the entire Umbrella Academy and it doesn't happen. We don't get to see Lila versus Klaus even. Rubbish.

And Ben. Where do I start? I love Ben. I was pleased with him during this series except, he's gone now, or I guess that Ben version/actor is. I thought him being able to posess Klaus was part of Klaus's ability but then, Ben posesses Vanya. Didn't make sense to me. Would've made more sense if they'd shown that it was Klaus enabling Ben to do that. Also, so Klaus can only talk to/call upon the dead who haven't "gone towards the light"... so all those dead soldiers we see him with at the very start of this season have never fully passed over? Those two dead cowboys or whatever they were who caught him, have never 'walked towards the light'? Come on. No.

Which brings me to the very beginning of the season where they're all together fighting the Russians before the nukes come and they're all really working as a team and in control of their powers... Who managed to calm Vanya down enough after she'd blown everything up? Not Ben, obviously, because he was there. Obviously nobody had stopped her from blowing sh*t up because the nukes were coming, but she was fully in control of herself and her powers when we see her at the start, so, what, somebody must've talked her into calming down I guess.

Another thing, at Ben's funeral Five isn't there. So why hasn't Five ever shown any surprise at Ben being dead?

Also, the Swedes were ok but nowhere near Hazel and Cha Cha's level. And the music wasn't as good this series, the fight scenes weren't as good, the cinematography even wasn't as good! None of it felt as dynamic.

Just disappointing, really. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, because I did. I just had huge expectations and they weren't met.

And! Fart jokes. Urgh. Go away with that.