Avengers Endgame (2019)

The youngest wanted to see this so I accompanied her - really enjoyed the film, and especially the way they tied together so many different ends, as well as addressed a couple of issues in the previous film that didn't quite make sense.

Overall, good fun and well done.

@Boneman The way I understood it. If you make any change to the timeline it branches off. It would work if when he went back he was careful not to make changes. Even if he did tell agent Carter as long as she kept his secret it would still work. She would just have to pretend that Cap had died when his plane came down. No changes to his own timeline, no branching off. If he was just "Bob" from New York the world's idea of Cap would not change. Kind of like the Doctor Who time travel rules.

@Anthoney That makes excellent sense! Especially as he wouldn't tell the guy anything about it....

To those confused (me for five minutes, wondering where my original post went...) Anthoney was replying to a comment I made about the end of the film....

Last edited:
I saw it this morning and was pretty impressed (not too sure about three hours without a breaks, but crossed legs kept that problem under control), but I did come away with two possible issues with the storyline. This could be me overthinking it, missing something (I did have my legs crossed very tightly toward the end) or just ...

At the end of Infinity War the timeline was, well linear. Thanos won. Half the universe dusted. Survivors not even picking up the pieces.

5 Years later the return of Scott Lang kicks off the whole time travel thing. One of the biggies that is really emphasised is that they must be careful not to alter the timeline, to the extent that the people cannot be brought back at the point they vanished but from that point (5 years after the event) on.

Even at the end of the film Steve leaves to place the Infinity stones back where they came from, so history is not mucked up and everything can continue to that point.

However, while they are collecting the Infinity Stones, Thanos discovers the plan and decides to use it to his advantage - traveling five years into the future to stop the heroes from undoing his original success and hitting back with an even bigger scheme.

Of course, this time he fails. And this time when Tony snaps his fingers the invading hordes of Thanos and the titan himself are the ones turned to dust. But this is the Thanos of the past, which means that he will not be there to use the Infinity Gauntlet in the fist movie, undoing time in a rather big way. (I'm prepared to believe that the snap could have sent everyone back in time, but it was not stated, and it really did look like the dusting at the end of Infinity War.

The other is smaller and less easy to explain - Past Nebula alters time by giving Thanos information of the future, then travels back to the present to try and help ruin the heroes plan. But Gamora rescues future Nebula who travels back for the climactic battle, and influences things by shooting herself. It certainly looks like she is dead, but that would mean (paradox time) past Nebula is dead, so she could not go on and become future Nebula, so could not do all the other things future Nebula did, including being there to give the game away to Thanos, or indeed shoot herself.

So there you are, I know there are ways to get around this, but unless I missed it nothing is explicitly stated.

What the Avengers hoped to create was a closed loop, instead they might have caused a self perpetuating paradox, that could only wipe out the Marvel Cinematic Universe doing Thanos' job for him ;)

SPOILERS ABOUND! DO NOT LOOK!

I think it’s supposed to be that new timelines are created with the events. Ant Man thought it would be the ‘usual’ style of time travel where you can’t influence the past and talk to yourself and all that, but Professor Hulk and Nebula disagreed, although don’t ask me to remember exactly what they said. But basically I think it means that new timelines happen, so that Thanos’ stuff from the first film still all happens (otherwise they wouldn’t be doing what they’re doing in this one).

Although this falls apart a bit with Old Steve at the end as he should’ve been in a different timeline. It would’ve worked if he’d reappeared in the suit as an old man, but just rucking up on the bench suggests that he’d somehow stayed in this timeline. So *does the I don’t know emoji*

Anyway, without thinking too much, I loved it. Less harrowing than Infinity War that’s for sure! In fact, about sixty percent of it was hilarious! Bummed at Black Widow, that was a shocker, and I didn’t even click about that stupid cliff until they got there. I thought they might do a double sacrifice for each other and somehow get around it. But with a bit of distance, I think it’s a great ending, in a way, for her. She went from secret assassin with a seriously bad past, to the only one still going five years after the Event, still working, still trying, and ultimately sacrficing herself for the entire universe.

Best bits:
Old Steve: I can do this all day!
New Steve: Yeah, I know
The way Evans said that line had me in stitches.

My girl Carol being a badass. Headbutting massive spaceships and taking them down, as she likes to do. But the best bit was taking a hit from motherfluffing Thanos and not flinching! The Girl Power group bit was a bit on the nose, but I just love it for the effect it must have on little girls in the audience.

All the portals opening, obviously, and everyone Assembling, at last.

But I think ultimately the best bit has to be Steve finally wielding the hammer. Holy moly was that good.

Also special mention to RDJ and his acting especially at the beginning when he’s weak and going off the rails, quality stuff.

And also special mention to little Karen Gillan, watching her go from Doctor Who companion to having a vital role in the biggest Superhero story yet. She did a cracking job of portraying someone who can’t physically show emotion and making us all feel for her. Also the ‘it was either this or a tree’ was another classic line.

Yeah, long story story, hilarious, proper fan fest delight, loved it.

Many years ago, I wanted the "Infinity Stones" story, to be made into movie. I got my wish.

It was wonderfully adapted (with changes I expected) from many comic books of Marvel Comics. I'm so glad I don't watch preview trailers to a film I'm looking forward to see. I was blown away by this movie. I loved it.

A friend of mine wanted to go see this movie, with me, because he kept hearing how great it's doing in theaters. Unfortunately, he's not a comic book fan, and he hasn't seen many of the Marvel films that lead up to this one. He would have been lost. I know him well. All he would do, is ask me questions throughout the movie. I didn't want that to happen, so I watched it alone.

For me, it's the greatest comic book tale on the big screen.

I've seen it and liked it (well what's not to like to an Avengers movie?).
It did not raised to my expectation though.
I have a question though: what now? Can they invent a crisis bigger than this? A villain greater than Thanos? Also i feel cheated a bit because Captaion Marvel had an episodic appearence in this.

I've seen it and liked it (well what's not to like to an Avengers movie?).
It did not raised to my expectation though.
I have a question though: what now? Can they invent a crisis bigger than this? A villain greater than Thanos? Also i feel cheated a bit because Captaion Marvel had an episodic appearence in this.

Actually I think they probably need to go the opposite direction and lower the stakes for a awhile, and tell smaller stories, and wait for a couple of years before building up to a bigger threat again. That being said any foe that Captain Marvel comes up against in her solo movie has to be pretty juiced up to present a challenge, but as that one will likely be set in space (and pre-Inifinity War/Endgame), so they can probably be a bit more of a bigger scale deal.

I really don't want to see too many more solo movies - I really hope they do more small-scale team-up movies, like Thor Ragnarok. It looks like Guardians 3 might have Thor, or Thor 4 might have the Guardians. Chuck the Guardians into a Captain Marvel film. Do a Dr Strange and Spider-man crossover. Mix it right up!

Also we now have the spectre of the X-men and Fantastic Four hanging over everything. I can't really see how they bring the mutants in at this stage, unless you wipe a whole lot of their history and basically start afresh. I do think they could weave the Fantastic Four into the current MCU, though, pretty easily. At least I have faith they'd handle them better than Fox did.

I think I agree with Cul. Something smaller, more intimate would be better for this second phase. Just because it is less epic does not mean it needs to be less exciting. It has been said the the plan is a five year one this time, so maybe that is the way they intend to go.

It has also been said that there is no real plan to use the X-Men in that time - probably to have a degree of separation between the old and the new.

Of course, that does not mean they can't use the Fantastic 4.

And having the FF back in the fold means they have access to some big characters that could give Thanks a run for his money.

Doctor Doom. Blastaar. Galactic.

Just got out the cinema. A very satisfying conclusion, especially since I seem to have inadvertently grown up with this franchise.
So many great characters. Thanos is a personal favourite of mine.
Gonna rewatch some of the others this week.

Very well done. It tied up phase one nicely in my opinion.