Star Trek: Short Trek - The Brightest Star

ctg

weaver of the unseen
29Eb8a9.jpg

Saru's yearning to find out what lies beyond his village leads him on an unexpected path.

I would have never thought Kelpian meant that they were actually just Kelp farmers. To be honest watching his people, wandering around, farming, foresting, tenting their planet is so serene that you wouldn't ever have thought that their species had developed a sixth sense.

It is as if they developed as a species to become a prey for others to feed upon. That there is no other greater honour then being the meat product for someone else. But when you see them going to through the Harvest celebration, it is a ship or alien device that comes to collect the sacrificial people. There are no species that actually hunts them.

That is strange as you would think that a species that has a sixth sense to sense on-coming danger would have grown the fighters in their civilisation. But all the Kelpians know is the same ritual that never changes. They don't even hunt.

In our eyes their civilisation is a utopian paradise that has dark twist which planet wide religion brought in. It does not explain the evolution. Not in biological terms. Not in the we know how the science works.

But it is interesting that Saru's species goes through all the same emotions, even anger and rebellious thoughts for being a member of utopia. I really loved that Star Fleet went beyond the protocol as Georgio broke the protocol as she collected Saru as a member of prewarp society, leaving behind all that is so wonderful in his world.

In a way Saru's story is the same as Luke Skywalkers, with the exception of him not blowing up Deathstars.

As I understand their sixth sense, it isn't actually danger they sense, but oncoming death is it not? At least, that seemed to be what was said early on, though later episodes did seem to indicate it might be more than that (Saru told Michael she was "dangerous").

Reactions: ctg
This short? Epic!!

Beautiful world. Awesome (though pitiable) story.

This one seemed shorter than the previous two: But that just goes to show you, a story should only be as long as it takes to tell! :D

Beautiful world. Awesome (though pitiable) story.

I agree. It was awesome story, but also kind of flop, because we don't get to see the predators. It cannot be the weird alien harverster, but if it is, it must have been there for so long time that Kelpian has developed their sixth sense because of it.

a story should only be as long as it takes to tell!

This I don't agree, because it would be true, all our stories would be five sentences long. There is a need for the length as it gives depth to the story and the characters. Without the previous introductions all I can think about Saru is that he's a brave wuss. And that when he needs to he can use his intelligence to do great things. So like I said, his story is very similar to Luke SkyWalker story.

Both are farmers. Both are brave wusses. And both has extraordinary abilities, although in Luke's case his abilities only magnifies as older he becomes. We don't really know what Saru is going at the long run, but I suspect he's going to break the Harvester curse from over his world.

I think that would be a suitable character story, but the producers might have a different idea on how things progress.