Jerusalem by Alan Moore

Guillermo Stitch

It just struck me today that I hadn't discussed this book with anyone here so I came on absolutely convinced there would be a thread on it—I mean, of course there would be—but I can't see one anywhere.

I finished it not long ago. One of the reads of my life and I'm a) horribly picky and b) no spring chicken.

I am still reeling. It is a magnificent, utterly magical book. Monumental in the best sense of the word—since it is a monument both to Northampton and to the art of writing. On more than one occasion in my reading I felt as though I had been nudged up a cognitive level or three. Scalp-tingling, ear-buzzing, synapse firing stuff.

Has anybody read it?

HareBrain

Bunny of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
Its size put me off when it first came out, and I've forgotten about it since. I might give it another look when I've got through the current crop of reads, but that's a lot of words.

What other works of his does it compare to? Or other works by anyone else, for that matter?

Guillermo Stitch

He has only written two novels and there is an obvious comparison to make—both find their beginnings in a place, Northampton.

His earlier novel, Voice of the Fire, can be seen as a forerunner/prototype of Jerusalem. In my opinion, anyway.

As far as comparisons to other books, then I honestly can't think of a direct book-to-book one, but what I could say is that, within the varying styles and techniques that Moore uses in the course of Jerusalem, you could talk about Joyce, about Beckett but also about Enid Blyton and through it all runs the kind of stately, magical lucidity that I might also associate with Ursula Le Guin, not to mention established preoccupations of Moore's (I believe) like Lovecraft, the occult etc

It's brilliant to the degree that I had a mini bout of depression when I'd finished, and briefly considered burning everything I've written.

hitmouse

Presumably this is Jerusalem as in dark satanic mills, rather than a historical novel about the Holy Land.