Dragonlance vs Gotrek and Felix

picklematrix

My current favourite genre is fantasy of the escapist, sword and sorcery style, along the lines of Jack Vance. I am deciding between Dragonlance or Gotrek and Felix soon. I shall probably read both series in the somewhat near future, but I wanted to get people's thoughts on these series.
They are not exactly high literature, but I think that is where the enjoyment comes from sometimes. They are both based on role-playing properties, and accessible to a younger readership.
How highly are these two series rated around these parts I wonder?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
We have an existing thread on Dragonlance: DragonLance Chronicles

I think the general perception is that the original trilogy remains entertaining and engaging - not too serious, not too silly, but enough meat to be enjoyed decades later even by modern readers - though most other works under that title generally fail to maintain the original standard.

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
I think Brian nails it with Dragonlance. I'm not sure I'd compare it to Vance - more Eddings or Lackey - but its still a fun ready if that's what you're in the mood for.

I've yet to read Gotrek and Felix. I really should.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
My current favourite genre is fantasy of the escapist, sword and sorcery style, along the lines of Jack Vance. I am deciding between Dragonlance or Gotrek and Felix soon. I shall probably read both series in the somewhat near future, but I wanted to get people's thoughts on these series.
They are not exactly high literature, but I think that is where the enjoyment comes from sometimes. They are both based on role-playing properties, and accessible to a younger readership.
How highly are these two series rated around these parts I wonder?
Gotrek and Felix is a blast ! Ive read just about the entire series . One the best ive ever read ! :cool:(y)

picklematrix

Lately, as I get older, I seem to prefer more fantastical, pulpy, adventure stories. I think some of these role-playing related series must fit the bill.

Overread

Direwolf of the chrons
I think a lot of modern fantasy has got hooked on epic a little too much and we've lost the adventure series style. Which is a great shame as its a fantastic way for new authors to test the waters and gain experience and market without committing themselves to a 3 book series where they stretch out their own plot or are clearly unsteady in their writing as yet. Shorter adventure stories give a lot more leeway for more casual writing.

I've not read Dragonlance yet, but I've been eyeing Gotrek and Felix - esp as Black Library has been both doing short print on demand runs of their early Inferno short story collections (where several G and F stories appeared); but are also doing some big omnibus releases. The first volume is already out and collects a bunch of their stories and the second isn't too far off (based on how many stories are in each volume I'm guessing there will be 4 of them to cover the entire series).
It also means I can catch up and then get to listen to the new audio book they've done where Gotrek enters the Age of Sigmar and gets voiced by Brian Blessed

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
listen to the new audio book they've done where Gotrek enters the Age of Sigmar and gets voiced by Brian Blessed
Brian Blessed! Gordon's alive! I'd listen to that.

I agree that every fantasy doesn't have to be an epic one. A sharp short adventure story can be a marvellous thing.

I'm also burned out on epics. A lot of them are groaning with extra weight and fat that could be trimmed. Only a few authors and certain ideas really require massive word counts imo.
I have a few doorstop per genre books on my tbr pile, but I'll have to build up to them with some lighter reading.

I'm a big proponent of the Dragonlance Chronicles as being huge fun. Some of that may be colored by nostalgia (it was the first fantasy series I really consciously tackled), but I've reread it relatively recently and it holds up in my mind. It's pretty cliched, and the first book in particular really shows the D&D roots at times, but overall I found it to be a blast.

Along the same lines, Michael Sullivan's Riryia books also have something of a lighter touch... less epic grit, more buddy book in fantasy setting.