The Walking Dead Movies

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Pollyanna McIntosh, who starred as Jadis-slash-Anne on The Walking Dead before absconding with a gravely injured Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) in a helicopter midway through Season Nine, says “things are in process” on the trilogy of Rick-led television movies being overseen by chief content officer Scott Gimple.

Appearing at Fan Fest San Jose over the weekend, McIntosh said she can “be very clear in assuming” her involvement in the movies after admitting in November she knew little about the closely guarded project.

“We’re going to see where Rick is, so she would be there,” McIntosh said, adding she hopes to be involved. “Things are in process right now, it’s exciting. I’m not ready to leave her behind yet.”

McIntosh noted last month she’s yet to see a script, but the actress appears to have some idea of where the story is headed, saying at Fan Fest there will come “more of an understanding of the community that [the helicopter group] came from and that I’m going to with them.”

Gimple previously told EW Lincoln will not be returning to the television series and that Anne would be involved with at least the first movie in the planned trilogy as she was aboard the helicopter now being piloted to parts unknown.

The movie will detail the “vast mythology” behind the well-equipped helicopter group and will bring with it answers about the “A” and “B” classification, used on Rick, Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and Father Gabriel (Seth Gilliam). That same group was responsible for the disappearance of the MIA Heath (Corey Hawkins), who was last seen in Season Seven episode “Swear.”

The mystery surrounding the helicopter community that ultimately took off with Rick — now believed dead for six years on The Walking Dead, where he’s mourned by brother Daryl (Norman Reedus), lover Michonne (Danai Gurira), and children Judith (Cailey Fleming) and R.J. (Antony Azor) — is a plot that has been quietly unfolding for years, mapped out by Gimple as a means of writing out Lincoln without killing off Rick Grimes.

“He was a little secretive, even with [the writers’ room], about what it was. He did let me in on some of it at some point last year,” showrunner Angela Kang told THR.

“We went into this season with a pretty good knowledge about the intention behind the helicopter and where it would lead.”

It leads to that first Rick Grimes movie, now being eyed for a 2019 production start.

“I am extremely hard at work on the first one right now, and most likely filming next year, though I’m freaking out about deadlines right now, so I’m not going to tell you exactly when because it will only make me pass out,” Gimple told EW.

Gimple added the movies would come “sooner than later,” noting the films would not be made on “television schedules.”

“This is going to be on feature schedules, and they’re going to be big, so they’re going to take a minute to make,” he said.
‘The Walking Dead’ Star Offers New Rick Grimes Movie Details

He says they will be coming sooner than later, and then basically says they will be big so will take long to make. If they take care these films could be great.
I would expect in a film format they make the stories fast moving. No time for slow moving episodes. Though with a trilogy planned you never know.

The Walking Dead creator and series executive producer Robert Kirkman is “heavily involved” with the Andrew Lincoln-led Rick Grimes television movie trilogy, chief content officer Scott Gimple told the New York Times.

The series of films, the first of which will be penned by Gimple, are “not just longer episodes,” Gimple said, adding the films will tell an original Rick Grimes story and feature heftier production values when compared to the ongoing television show.

Lincoln, who had a say in how his exit from the show after eight-and-a-half seasons was handled, suggested the first film could in part be inspired by a film “greatly” admired by the star: 1992 Clint Eastwood western Unforgiven.

“There’s something about Eastwood, who he is as a gunslinger, as an iconic kind of American hero, rolling around in pig swill at the beginning of the movie,” Lincoln said.

“You know what he’s capable of, and I thought the idea of a character that the audience knows and has lived with — and who has oscillated between psycho and father for nine years — to start in a completely different place, was a really interesting, crazy place to begin. I want to know why we keep seeing helicopters flying around. What’s going on? What have the grown-ups been doing while we’ve been scrambling around in the dirt?”

Asked if his “grown-ups” comment indicated the involvement of the government or some other far-reaching structure, Lincoln elected to keep quiet.

“I’m not going to say any more than that,” he said. “I don’t want to give away — well, I don’t know the story actually, so I can’t give anything away.”

McIntosh, who said in November she had yet to see a script, previously admitted she knows little about the top-secret project but expects the movie to bring “more of an understanding of the community that [the helicopter group] came from and that I’m going to with them.”

Gimple previously teased the first movie will explore the “vast mythology” behind the helicopter group that absconded with a wounded Rick Grimes in Lincoln’s Season Nine sendoff episode, bringing with it answers surrounding the ‘A’ and ‘B’ classification system used to identify Rick, Father Gabriel (Seth Gilliam) and Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan).

“It is really important for the audience to know that we are going to be continuing to tell the story of Rick Grimes in these AMC Studios original films. We don’t want this thing to be like, ‘Oh, well, he’ll be back on the show any moment now.’ We are telling Rick’s story in another medium, and it’s going to be these AMC Studios original films,” Gimple told EW after confirming Lincoln will not be returning to the mothership show.

“They’re going to be on AMC, most probably. They’re centered around Rick Grimes. We’re going to tell the story of what happens after that helicopter flight, and these are going to be big, epic entertainments.”

AMC is aiming for a 2019 production start for the first Walking Dead movie, which has yet to receive a release window from the network.
‘The Walking Dead’ Creator Robert Kirkman “Heavily Involved” with Rick Grimes Movie Trilogy

Interesting. I don't remember the A and B classification being mentioned in regards to Negan. In the TV series anyway.
Also they say they are probably going to be on AMC. So that implies they don't think there is enough interest (or budget?) for a cinema release? You don't usually see a lot of publicity for a TV movie.

The Walking Dead universe appears to be getting one of its most beloved characters back, in some form. Abraham Ford is apparently coming back to the AMC universe after actor Michael Cudlitz teased as much during a recent interview, having exited The Walking Dead in its Season Seven premiere back in 2017.

"The show has sort of laid out in its history is through flashbacks and origin stories There's still characters on the show that were very close with Abraham that he had history with," Cudlitz said on Strahan and Sara. "We could very easily go back."

However, Cudlitz went into further detail, teasing more specifically how fans can expect to see him in the role of Abraham Ford, once again. "They're also doing other movies that are gonna move in time, go back in time, go forward in time, and I believe pair up characters that weren't necessarily paired up in the graphic novels," Cudlitz said. While he was certainly (and probably contractually) beating around any definitive reveal, the actor offered one vague but encouraging conclusion: "A strong, subtle yes. Very, very possible."

Cudlitz first appeared on The Walking Dead in its fourth season, debuting alongside Josh McDermitt and Christian Serratos. Both cast members remain on the show today as Eugene Porter and Rosita Espinosa. Cudlitz is currently starring on ABC's The Kids Are Alright and returned to The Walking Dead in its current season to direct his first episode.

With a trio of Rick Grimes movies on the way, AMC is also in active development on more The Walking Dead spinoff shows and more films which will involve characters from both The Walking Dead and its sibling series Fear the Walking Dead. As previously reported by ComicBook.com, it's possible fans get to see Cudlitz star in a film alongside Fear the Walking Dead's Ruben Blades as his Daniel Salazar character. This seems consistent with Cudlitz's comments regarding pairing characters who were not paired in Robert Kirkman's graphic novels.
'The Walking Dead' Star Vaguely Confirms Return Of Abraham Ford

I put this here, because the helicopter group is going to be in the movies, but Maggie is going to appear with the helicopter people in Fear. Maybe.

The absences of Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and Maggie Rhee (Lauren Cohan) will continue to have a presence in The Walking Dead Season Ten, reveals showrunner Angela Kang.

Asked about the unidentified voice that came over Eugene’s (Josh McDermitt) long-range radio in the last seconds of the Season Nine closer, Kang told Deadline: “What does that mean? Who is it? The answer to that will provide some interesting twists for the story going forward.”

Rick is presumed dead, having disappeared six years earlier in a bridge explosion, while Maggie is off helping Georgie (Jayne Atkinson) with a new community. The coming series of Rick Grimes movies will explore what happened after Jadis-slash-Anne (Pollyanna McIntosh) flew away with Rick aboard a helicopter, while Maggie could reappear in Season Ten or elsewhere.

“Obviously, the idea is that Rick and Maggie and all these people are alive in our universe,” Kang said. “That’s part of the thing for our characters who don’t have full closure on Rick. That is something that remains an open question and may play into the story going forward in certain ways.”

Because Walking Dead chief content officer Scott Gimple previously confirmed Lincoln will not be returning to the television show, Kang could be hinting that “open question” is tied to the “significant” and “giant” story planned for Michonne (Danai Gurira) in Season Ten, set to be Gurira’s last.

Gurira’s “handful” of remaining episodes will be interspersed throughout that season, making it likely Gurira segues into the Walking Dead movies. The first film, penned by Gimple, is expected to reach network AMC sometime in 2020, the same year the second-half of Season Ten will be aired.

Gimple also hinted there could be a tie-in with the helicopter group behind Rick’s abduction in the coming fifth season of spinoff Fear the Walking Dead when he revealed at WonderCon a story first seen in The Walking Dead will carry over into Fear, further tying the two shows together.

And what about Cohan, whose ABC spy action-comedy Whiskey Cavalier looks to be on the verge of cancellation?

“Maggie is somebody we still hope will come back,” Kang said, having long engaged in talks with the Maggie Rhee star. “We don’t know if, when that all happens and how, but the fact is the world is opening up a little bit in our show and people are far flung. There’s a sense now that there are places other than the one place they know exists.”

Like the snow-covered Season Nine finale, a first for the zombie drama, The Walking Dead aims to keep surprising viewers.

“You know, I hope what fans took something out of the fact that we did a snow episode nine seasons in,” Kang said.

“It’s a way of showing, among other things, that we still have some new things that we can try on the show and new things to show. You know, I don’t always want to do the expected thing or the thing that we’ve seen. We still have creative avenues that we will continue to explore in the 10th season which we’re really excited about.”
‘The Walking Dead’ Boss on Rick and Maggie Closure

The Walking Dead and its respective parties have remained quiet in regards to the Rick Grimes trilogy of films promised when Andrew Lincoln made his exit in the show's ninth season. Fans have since grown frustrated with the silence but the wait might finally be coming to an end if Skybound's Mail Bag is any indication. Skybound, the publisher of Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead comic, promises there is an update on the horizon.

In the Mail Bag blog from the official Skybound site, insider Johnny O'Dell fielded questions from fans, including one regarding the Rick Grimes movies. "We promise you guys will get an update sooner rather than later," O'Dell wrote. "Seriously."

How soon is that? Well, there are a few good options for when AMC can finally let some details regarding the Rick Grimes movies spinning off of The Walking Dead can drop. San Diego Comic Con is a little more than a month away, slated for mid-July. Fear the Walking Dead is set to make its Season 5 debut on Sunday night with a Talking Dead episode following it. The episode will also come with its connections to the larger Dead universe, so explaining these on the talk show or promising a future explanation elsewhere could include movie news on Sunday night. Still, it seems more likely AMC would wait to have all eyes on their Hall H presentation in July later in the summer.

The promised trilogy of films have not affected The Walking Dead as much as some might suspect if showrunner Angela Kang's sentiments are any indication. "There's every once in awhile, there will be something related to the universe where it's more like Scott's like, 'Hey, you know this idea you guys have? This sort of treads on something that I'm working on right now, so can you maybe change this aspect or that aspect?'" Kang told ComicBook.com.

An example of how Gimple's work is impacting The Walking Dead's narrative has already been on display earlier in Season Nine. "And then there were a few things with Rick, where it's like, 'Okay, Rick has to go off in a helicopter,'" Kang explained. However, fans shouldn't expect the movies in development to impact the series in any major ways in the near future. "So, there's things like that that are very specific, but for the most part, the show exists in its own thing, because it's like the show is based on the comic book," Kang said. "That's unique to The Walking Dead, the mothership show, and so that's kind of our guiding post. We're not bumping up against it too much."
The Walking Dead Will Update Rick Movies Sooner Than Later

I wonder if the backlash on the anti-abortion ruling in Georgia will affect Walking Dead filming there. Normally the new season would be in the Autumn of this year on the usual schedule. I guess they will at least finish season 10 filming if it is ongoing now. Maybe the movies are not set in Georgia. But the film sets could still be there.

Last edited:
Oh right. Good point. I'm not wanting to discuss the merits or otherwise of the law. Though it does seem some companies will refrain from shooting there (if they can actually find alternative sets).

Oh right. Good point. I'm not wanting to discuss the merits or otherwise of the law. Though it does seem some companies will refrain from shooting there (if they can actually find alternative sets).

I finally did catch up with that part of the news. I think it's up to AMC to decide, and the thing is AMC has been shooting elsewhere. The movies are not going to be set in there, but as I understand it, they're going to explore the helicopter people and that might take them elsewhere. It's a problem with the Fear and TWD because both has sound stages there. But it's not a huge problem to move elsewhere if they so choose. What's more important is that Georgia can adjust their policies easier than they can let go of their cash cows.

Why do they need to put them out on a theatres? What is the reasoning?

AMC is thrilled to bring The Walking Dead to the big screen under distributor Universal Pictures, but programming chief David Madden says the cabler wasn’t counting on a theatrical release.

“It could’ve ended up with us [on AMC], it could’ve ended up at a streaming platform,” Madden told TheWrap. “It’s a big dream to have a current TV show that is still on the air to have a feature film incarnation. That doesn’t happen very often.”

Some internet commenters complained they’ll now have to pay to view the movies, accusing AMC of pulling a bait and switch by announcing a line of cable-aired films only to reveal plans for theatrical release during San Diego Comic-Con.
The Walking Dead Movies Weren’t Always Planned for Theatrical Release

They must think they can bring in a substantial audience and make a profit.. Hopefully means it will be a high quality attempt.

Ha. Well we would like to think of entertainment like in the early seasons. Though probably now it would just mean that they use high quality production and effects. Not necessarily good story. If it is a trilogy there is still potential for a story to be dragged out.

Well this explains the theatre release

Universal may have ended up with the rights to the feature film continuation of AMC's long-running horror series The Walking Dead, but it was possible that somebody else could have done it -- and the network apparently entertained offers from multiple suitors. AMC President and CEO Josh Sapan said as much during an earnings call, although he declined to name specific studios who were interested in distributing the film, which is the first of a planned trilogy centered on the story of Rick Grimes. Grimes, the central protagonist of the TV series for the first nine seasons, was written out about midway through last year. While the characters in-universe assume he is dead, he has in fact been taken away by a mysterious helicopter.

The general idea seems to be that Rick's absence from the TV series will give star Andrew Lincoln more time with his family and more flexibility to take on other projects, but the feature films will continue Rick's story and likely, ultimately, lead him back to Alexandria and his daughter, Judith. The series' first season centered on Rick's search for his family -- his son Carl and pregnant wife Lori -- and while both of those characters have since been killed, Rick still has Judith to return to.

The films will get a theatrical release through Universal, which came as a surprise to many fans who had expected them to be TV movies. Earlier this week, AMC's programming chief admitted that they were not necessarily planned for theatrical release at conception.

“It’s a big dream to have a current TV show that is still on the air to have a feature film incarnation. That doesn’t happen very often,” David Madden acknowledged.
Multiple Studios Reportedly Wanted to Do The Walking Dead Movie

Hmmm. I have not been in a movie theater for at least 4 years. I hope I can wait for either the DVD or streaming release. I hope that the TV series do not need the films for continuity.

The Walking Dead feature films might accomplish what the television show never could: maiming Andrew Lincoln's Rick Grimes, whose comic book counterpart lost a limb early on when the villainous Governor chopped off Rick's right hand in the book's 28th issue. Both Lincoln and franchise creator Robert Kirkman supported putting Rick's hand on the chopping block, but it was determined to be an unnecessary complication for the television show, and pricey CGI costs prohibited its producers from digitally erasing one of the limbs of its leading man. (In Season 9, an injury to Ross Marquand's Aaron resulted in his arm being amputated and replaced by a prop prosthetic.)

Lincoln exited that same season, and he'll next appear across a trilogy of bigger-budgeted movies revealing what happened to Rick when he was abducted from Virginia more than six years before TWD Season 10. Presumably, the films aren't beholden to the same budgetary limitations that prevented Rick's injury on the television show.

"I think cutting Rick's hand off when we did was great for the comic. It's just that in another medium it would be harder to pull off," Kirkman wrote in a 2014 Reddit Q&A when asked why the show spared Rick of his injury. "We cheat in the comic because things aren't moving. You can't do that on the show. You'd see Rick not being able to reload his gun and things like that."

He added, "The CGI of cutting off Rick's hand would be expensive, but we did it with Hershel's (Scott Wilson) leg so if we felt strongly about Rick losing a hand, we'd do it."

Lincoln spent years requesting Rick lose a limb, telling ComicBook.com it could happen to any other character besides the show's lead.

"I was saying, 'You've gotta do the hand, guys!'" Lincoln said. "And Victor [Scalise], who was in charge of special effects, just said, 'No, no no no. Anybody else but not you. It'll cost a fortune with green screen and blue screen.'"

Kirkman, who is heavily involved with the films alongside TWD chief content officer Scott Gimple, once said he wasn't entirely ruling out Rick's injury making its way into the live-action franchise:

"Andy would be all for it but you never know. It's entirely possible that we've closed the book on that issue right now but it could crop up in the future," Kirkman told The Hollywood Reporter in 2014 after the TV show killed off David Morrissey's Governor. "It is the bane of my existence in the comics because I'm constantly having to rewrite scenes that you can't do with one hand. I'm not going to rule it out; it could happen at some point but it certainly hasn't happened yet."

Interestingly, Lincoln once pitched an ending for the franchise that involved Rick receiving a walker bite to the arm. Expecting to die from the wound, Rick would instead discover he hasn't turned — he'd then find out he's "invisible" to the flesh-hungry walkers, making him realize he's the cure to the zombie apocalypse.

Should Rick lose a limb, it could happen by walker or a newly-introduced villain. Because Gimple frequently played with time on The Walking Dead, audiences might even see a narrative split into past and present. This would slowly unfurl what's happened to Rick during the six-year period of his disappearance — explaining why he was unable to return home to Michonne (Danai Gurira) and children Judith (Cailey Fleming) and RJ (Antony Azor) — and in that time, Rick might have already suffered his injury.

AMC and Universal Pictures have not yet announced a release date for the untitled Walking Dead movie, but Lincoln's co-star Pollyanna McIntosh, who returns as Anne-slash-Jadis, recently confirmed the movie is still happening.
The Walking Dead Movies Might Maim Rick Grimes

More blood! More gore! We need some appropriate smiles; eyes gouged our, green complexion, heads split open, etc.