DISCUSSION THREAD- December 2018- 75 Word Writing Challenge :

Well written Mad Alice!

1546070492130.png

Congrats @Mad Alice.

Thanks for the votes @mosaix, @Peter V and @Karn's Return plus the mentions folks.

As soon as I saw the theme all that came to mind was The Raven. Poe's piece has some fun self-imposed rhyming rules and the last but one line gave me quite a headache even to get it to flow well.

As a useless fact, the only city that fit was Baltimore. Unknown to myself, this was where Poe was found walking delirious wearing someone else's clothes and died shortly later in hospital.

Thank you for the shortlist Tisiphone, much appreciated.

My apologies I haven’t had chance to vote this month, it’s been hectic and my youngest has come down with chicken pox!

Well done Mad Alice, congratulations

Thank you Ursa - "honourable....", eh? That's good enough for me ;-)!

Congratulations in a conclusive victory Mad Alice.

And well done all for a great mix of clever, imaginative, witty and sometimes just downright dark tales.

This is by far my most successful 75 since last Decembers unexpected win. So thank you Ursa major, Vince W and Artoriarius for your much appreciated votes, to Hugh, M Robert Gibson and Cats Cradle for the runner up spots, to Parson and The Dusty Zebra for the short-listings and to Ivy Moser, Elvet and Skookey for the mentions.

Last month zero votes and zero mentions (first time ever I think) to this. It feels like Christmas!

Seasons greetings and a prosperous New Year to all.

Congrats @Mad Alice.

Thanks for the votes @mosaix, @Peter V and @Karn's Return plus the mentions folks.

As soon as I saw the theme all that came to mind was The Raven. Poe's piece has some fun self-imposed rhyming rules and the last but one line gave me quite a headache even to get it to flow well.

As a useless fact, the only city that fit was Baltimore. Unknown to myself, this was where Poe was found walking delirious wearing someone else's clothes and died shortly later in hospital.

I voted for this because it was so unexpected, so well done and quite frankly stood out in its uniqueness in this months competition. I know there are mixed thoughts on here for adapting existing material or using existing characters but I take everything on its own merit and judge it initially by asking if I enjoyed it? Which I obviously did.

After that I narrow it down by deciding if it is well written, imaginative, clever? Or maybe it provokes an emotional response or resonates on a personal level? I certainly think The Reindeer was clever because it is not an easy piece to adapt. I narrowed my choice to four or five and would have given some feedback had time not been so pressing but the deciding factor was the stories difference to anything else submitted (other than mine of course :) )

Ouch! Once again we've written a whole lot of dark stories. It seems that the more happy and upbeat the topic the darker we go.

Shortlist:
@elvet Rudolf's Legacy .... For giving us hope in the middle of despair.

@Karn's Return Rudolph The Protective Reindeer .... for a line I want to forget.

@drmatteri Rudolph of the Red Nose .... for a mythic poem in 75 words.

@stormcrow Natural History .... for a truly grim and dark story.

@Peter V Beware of Geeks Bearing Gifts .... for a grin and a wonderfully twisted classic

@LittleStar Why Change With The Seasons? .... For the best philosophical question of the month.

@Joshua Jones The Red and Green Eyed Monster .... For a perfect title and a new worry in home owning.

Vote getter:

@Teresa Edgerton Sometimes There’s Magic .... In my opinion this is a story without peer this month, and if TE has a bit of inclination this would be a wonderful beginning thought for a children's fantasy. It really sounds perfect for that to me. (I have made good calls on these things before.)
I thought the same thing, Parson! If Teresa writes that story, I would like to read it :)

Fine month, everyone. Throwing 'Horror' into the genre pool opens things up a fair bit.

Lots of stories I liked, and here are my lists:

Honorables:
elvet, subtletylost, Teresa Edgerton, drmatteri, The Judge, Perpetual Man

Shortlist:
D.A. Xiaolin Spires, johnnyjet, Scookey

Finalists:
Peter V, Ivy Moser, Mad Alice

Vote:
Mad Alice for a beautiful tale, beautifully told.

Thank you, Ivy Moser, for mentioning my story. :)

Thank you for liking mine, too! :)

I really didn't expect any votes this go-round but i did get one (thanks again, @Calliopenjo ).

I new I'd missed the theme: My only mention of reindeer was the hoof prints! But, I liked what I'd wrote, and being a stubborn cuss, I decided to go with it. :p ;)

Can't wait for the January challenges!

Congratulations @Mad Alice .... that was a very atmospheric piece. It was well written and memorable.

A repeated thanks to the 4 people (Joshua Jones, Aun Doorback, Bob Sr., and Dan Jones) who voted for my story. That was the best showing for a long while for me.

(I was stunned when Bob Sr. said that I had made a typo and spelled something wrong. I very capable of doing that, but thought I was very careful in the 75. So now I wonder what caused him to think that at first.)

I voted for this because it was so unexpected, so well done and quite frankly stood out in its uniqueness in this months competition. I know there are mixed thoughts on here for adapting existing material or using existing characters but I take everything on its own merit and judge it initially by asking if I enjoyed it? Which I obviously did.

After that I narrow it down by deciding if it is well written, imaginative, clever? Or maybe it provokes an emotional response or resonates on a personal level? I certainly think The Reindeer was clever because it is not an easy piece to adapt. I narrowed my choice to four or five and would have given some feedback had time not been so pressing but the deciding factor was the stories difference to anything else submitted (other than mine of course :) )

@Peter V thank you for the feedback. It's left me a touch speechless.

Congrats Mad Alice

Parson, I guess I didn't get my point across, remember I'm 82 yrs old blind in one eye, can't see too awful good out of the other and let's not forget that, " I'm not stupid I'm ignorant " line.
I was tired when I was reading through the stories, eye strain actually, and thought I had read the words
Anal and Parolees as typos. Sorry if I upset you and none of this has been an attempt at humor.

I meant that I'd read banal and proles as typos.
Bob

Back