DISCUSSION THREAD- December 2018- 75 Word Writing Challenge :

OK, have now read every single entry and was amazed by how few stuck to the content of the photo we were told to base them on. Maybe I missed something...?
My shortlist came down to:
Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts
Braaaaaaine-deer
Origins
Christmas Spirit is Missing
No Virginia
Not going to tell you who I'll finally vote for but it will be one of these. Well done everyone :D

When I wrote my story, there wasn’t a picture posted. It was just the word Reindeer. I think the picture came later.

When I wrote my story, there wasn’t a picture posted. It was just the word Reindeer. I think the picture came later.
That's interesting. Not so sure it was good to arrive late into the contest in that case. Oh well, was fun anyway.

@Scookey There was/is no requirement to base the story on the picture. I've just checked again and there are 2 conditions: theme (Reindeer) and genre (Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror).

OK, have now read every single entry and was amazed by how few stuck to the content of the photo we were told to base them on. Maybe I missed something...?
My shortlist came down to:
Beware of Greeks Bearing Gifts
Braaaaaaine-deer
Origins
Christmas Spirit is Missing
No Virginia
Not going to tell you who I'll finally vote for but it will be one of these. Well done everyone :D

Geeks (it's a play on Greeks though)

I'm not sure why there was a picture, since we don't usually use them for the 75 Word Challenge, where there are theme and genre to provide inspiration, and even those are open to broad interpretation. Lovely picture though. I think it was probably added just to bring pleasure to those of us who saw it. I can see how it could be confusing to those new to the Challenges. But how well something fits the theme and genre is always up to the individual voter to decide anyway.

Even with the 300 Word Challenge where there is always an inspiration picture but no theme (genre is always Speculative Fiction: SF, fantasy, or horror) the picture is not meant to be taken literally (though entrants can choose to do so if that is what they feel inspired to do) but only to spark off ideas.

First of all, literally no-one was told to base their entry on the image. No official challenge on this website requires this.

The picture is added so that the link to the Challenge on the front page of the website fits in with other stories on that front page (which all have images attached, not always by the thread starter). That image has literally no relevance to how the stories should be written or judged (as some will have been written before the image gets attached to the Challenge).

Even when the picture is part of the challenge -- as is the case with the 300-worders (one of which will be open to entries very shortly) -- that image is there purely to inspire those entering, not to provide a basis on which others might judge the entries. So if the image shows a tree, the writer may be inspried to produce something that, to anyone else, may appear to have no connection with a tree. (To take an extreme example, a similar tree might be found on the cover of a favourite book of one of the people entering, a book whose content may be, in some way or other, reflected in the entry)... and that is perfectly okay and in line with the rules of the 300-worders.

The picture is added so that the link to the Challenge on the front page of the website fits in with other stories on that front page (which all have images attached, not always by the thread starter). That image has literally no relevance to how the stories should be written or judged (as some will have been written before the image gets attached to the Challange).

Ah, that makes sense, considering the new format and focus for the front page—which was very different (being mainly new stories, reviews, and articles) years ago when we started doing the 75 Word Challenges.

___

REMINDER to those who haven't voted yet: there are only a few hours left to read the stories and vote for your favorite.

I was going to stick my head around the corner this morning and thank TDZ for the vote, greatly appreciated and all that, only to find it was a double-barrelled TDZ day, getting home to find a Christmas card as well. So thanks for both my dusty friend.

Thank you to those who took time out to review my entry. It’s been a while since I contributed but feels good to be back.

Thanks also to Chrispenycate for the mention in despatches.

My shortlist is:
Stevietee-day at the zoo
Pedro del Marc- The Hunt for the Mysterious Meh-Teh
Jondo_ Beast Glatisant
Artoriarius - The Lost Expedition
Mad Alice - For In Cold We Wept

But my vote went to:
Perpetual Man - Origins

I was going to stick my head around the corner this morning and thank TDZ for the vote, greatly appreciated and all that, only to find it was a double-barrelled TDZ day, getting home to find a Christmas card as well. So thanks for both my dusty friend.

Yes, I planned it that way.

Being as it's Christmas, the Ursa jury just about has the presents of mind to come to a decision, and here it is....

The following are in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • The Thirst by Culhwch
  • Reindeer and Christmas 2518 by Parson
  • Natural History by stormcrow
  • Braaaaaaaaaaaaiinn-deer by David Evil Overlord

Runners Up:
  • Rudolph’s Legacy by elvet
  • Aurora Borealis by Ivy Moser
  • Sleigh Belle’s Slain by The Judge

Winner:
  • Beware of Geeks Bearing Gifts by Peter V