Can anyone help me with my story ideas?

So since I have mixed genres and character themes like horror, scifi and fantasy, which is the best reason the corporation would benefit from the tournament?

1. After discovering an ancient artifact, it opened up portals to other universes so the corporate holds a tournament with each contestant facing off, each one who's defeated is sent back to their portal which is locked so that universe can't merge with the real world. Winner gets to merge with the real world but half that share of the portals specislties goes to the corporate and the secret hidden illuminate group.

1. The corporate holds the tournament after the artifact opens other universes during a dystopia time and by getting contestants to join, the winner is promised a better lifeel from the distopia but must pay a sacrafical price to the corporate for the secret group as some sort of supernatural tradition?

Ha, I see that the idea of an evil organizaton is quite firm in your mind, but you don't really have a story-centric justification as to why you need it to be that and nothing else. I believe that particular idea doesn't give you enough plot threads to work with.

Be careful about making up your mind on a story's elements so early in the creative process. An evil organization doing evil things just because, is quite the cookie-cutter approach to plot creation. Have a feel for the story and develop end goals and motivations before settling for the corporate flavour. Maybe you'll see other options that branch out more and farther.

I guess your right. What I was going to do was have it that the evil organization was just a con to set up the tournament to get fighters to join, which is secretly revealed to be some sort of supernatural entity group that's been around for centuries hiding behind the organization who are responsible for helping these creed corporations stay rich in power, caving into the minds of the human race. Think like the beast meaning mentioned in religion and mythology, the one that runs it all. Maybe they need a winner as some sort of sacrafical tradition?

Ok I think I finally figured the motives out! Anyone wanna hear my idea I will use?

I'm listening. But I'm getting lost and confused by the structural details and deciding to close the book and try reading another one before I even meet the actors.

There are fighter stories: Rocky, Gladiator, etc. They are eternal stories of grit and triumph against impossible odds. Of getting knocked down and getting up again.

Imo it's going to be the character arc/s of the main anti/hero fighters that your readers are going to be engaged with, less the background world in which their story is set.

The background world can be an interesting sub-plot kind of thing, but the real story is about the fighter? The reader suffers and triumphs through the fighter. It could be set in any circumstances or place or time?

Last edited:
Ok I think I finally figured the motives out! Anyone wanna hear my idea I will use?

For me, honestly no.

I know this sounds a bit abrupt and dismissive, but really what I want is some output. (I.E. something you've written)

Personally, as I mentioned before, leaping into a monster saga of daring do as your first attempt at writing is ambitious. Nothing wrong with that, but cutting your teeth on something smaller might be beneficial and provide dividends in the end.

However, given the suggested scope of what you have outlined I would reccomend researching a writing tool such as Scrivener, or any of the others. (I like ywriter5).

These programs allow you to track/create characters traits and places iitems (weapons magical devices) for reference as you write. So if you have :-

Ragmanger - a fierce much feared bloodthirsty hairdresser with blue eyes and calloused hands fond of brown ale and vodka shots. His favoured weapon being the axe which he hones to a sharpness that will cut hair - say.

When in 300 pages he walks into the Gutless Pig. A tavern in on the banks of the raging torrent of the river Glush.

You are able to check on the drink he likes, the fact he'll have to take his axe of his back to sit down, that the Gutless Pig is not in Greenacre wood (where he's just come from in the previos scene) and the river Glush dried up twenty years ago due to the mining efforts of the Corporation. Because all these little important properties are available on a tab for places things and people.

It's lot easier than copious pieces of stickit notes plastered all over the wall of the bathroom.

@RJM Corbet no! Don't close the book just yet :(

@TheEndIsNigh so that means I really am failing at this :( how do I join ywriter5 or Scrivener? Do you have to pay for it?

I'm sorry guys, I guess I'm just not cut out to be a writer cause my ideas just seem really poor :(

@TheEndIsNigh so that means I really am failing at this :( how do I join ywriter5 or Scrivener? Do you have to pay for it?

I'm sorry guys, I guess I'm just not cut out to be a writer cause my ideas just seem really poor :(
Ah no, I didn't mean that. I really meant that in my own opinion the appeal of your story is going to be in the character of the main fighters, less in the fantasy world in which they are going to be living.

For example the story of Romeo and Juliet is set in Venice, but it's the characters and the story that matter, not so much where?

I think you need 30 posts before you can write something and put it up for a critique here. So I'll be looking forward to seeing that.

Like everything it takes dedicated practice and training. It's naïve for anyone to expect to be a gifted writer/creator/crafter at the beginning of their journey in the craft of writitng. TBH your sign off sounds a little petulant or sulky. It's not easy writing. In fact it's very painful for most of us, and still we try to keep on. To then make a comment that you guess you're just not cut out to be a writer makes me think that your problem is not your ideas and such, but your assumption that this is going to be easy.

It's not. And if it was, what would that say about the authors who have spent years perfecting their craft only to have someone sweep in and do it after a few days?

Coming back to TEIN's mention of Scrivener. As the forum Scrivener zealot, I would agree at how helpful it is, for such a cheap price, but don't agree that it will help you with your ideas. Maybe categorising them as TEIN has said, but not in inspiring you. In fact, I don't even use the character sheet templates that Scrivener offers. I just use it for its powerful features in editing and being able to jump around in a story and not get lost. You can search for it online.

If you have Word or any other WP, at this stage I think you'll get along fine. I think I wrote for two years before buying Scrivener (but it may be less, my memory is shocking when it comes to numerical things!!!)

I'd suggest you stop seeking binary answers to your questions, and just throw yourself into it. Not necessarily this story, but any story. Now is the time to enjoy your learning and in that regard I'd point you to the 57 Word Writing Challenge in the Writing Challenge sub forum. It'll teach you how to get an idea - a microstory - across in only seventy-five words, and it's not a huge committment to yourself. Even when you come to vote at the end of the month, it's only 75 words in everyone's else's stories to read. If you even choose to vote.

It'll also give you a sense of how other people are receving your stories, based on shortlisting and votes you may (or may not) get. Additionally, you'll learn how to edit brutally but keep the sense of your story.

You're now - by joining Chrons - in one of the best places to learn your craft. Particpate, help others where you can, and enjoy a long learning process :D

pH

It doesn't sound like you're failing to me. You have an idea you want to write - now write it.

Absolutely not, that isn't the impression I wanted to give AT ALL.

@Phyrebrat (didn't know you were the sites zealot :) ) is correct regarding the need for such tools. They are not essential, however, I mearly suggested them given the scope of the story you outlined, where you'll be keeping a lot of balls in the air. These tools also (even if you never use them) give you an idea of things you need to keep track of when writing. As I said, its easy to forget important continuity details about the Tavern when you're in full flow. Being able to click on a tab to check the barmaid is a red head call Villona and not a grizzled bald old git called Scrunge can be useful. e.g.

Pushing through the swing doors he entered the tavern kicking the cat and calling out for his favourite ale. "A pint of Old Grimshaws Villona, and serve me at my table where we can renew our fumblings," he called out lustily.

Scrunge, the old barman looked up from pulling a pint and eyed the stranger. He slid the pint along the bar to Micrad the Magician, whose eyebrows were raised with more than a curious look. Reaching for a handy mug tree he shouted back in a high pitched tone "I'll be right over young master, I've waited years for someone to ask me that."

I also no longer use Ywriter5 (which was free when I used it) just type ywriter5 in a search engine

Oh sod it its here www.spacejock.com

and it seems it's now level 6 so there you go.

I also don't think you're failing, far from it, but I think gaining some experience would be useful before plunging in at the deep end.

hope I helped

Tein

@RJM Corbet yeah my focus would be on the main characters I just need to figure out away to keep the audience intrigued by them. You're right, I need at least 30 posts before I can post any work for any sort of critique.

@Phyrebrat I agree with you that writing isn't easy. unless you are just very skilled at it and have sucked in enough knowledge of things, like from books, movies or a gifted talent. I'm not really sure if I have that yet or I could and not realize it yet. whatever the case, I do need lots of practice. But sometimes the work gets so difficult, so much research needs to be done to be as accurate as accurate as I can.

How do you guys not burn out :( should I carry extra energy bars to stay awake? :( I have to look more into Scrivener, it would be great if this helped me. Would the writing challenge help me?

Thanks for inspiring me more cause this will be a great place to learn

@The Big Peat I want to write but I'm afraid I'll fail it. I just hate writing sub par stories, it's a killer. How many posts do I need before I go to the writing challenge?

@TheEndIsNigh it looks like Ywriter5 is not free, they charge a fee :(

@Bee22

...I want to write but I'm afraid I'll fail it. I just hate writing sub par stories, it's a killer. How many posts do I need before I go to the writing challenge?...

Yes, that's the whole thing, isn't it? What I have in my head somehow doesn't make it to the page properly, lol. I do admire that you are putting a lot of effort into planning and preparation. I suppose that is a most important part of good writing.

And also that you are asking for advice and soaking it up. It might not always be the right advice for you, and you've already obviously observed that quite a lot of it conflicts.

The comment was addressed to @The Big Peat so I hope he and you won't mind my answering your question: The writing challenges are open to everyone. No post count required.

December 2018 -- 75-word writing challenge

Last edited:
@The Big Peat I want to write but I'm afraid I'll fail it. I just hate writing sub par stories, it's a killer. How many posts do I need before I go to the writing challenge?

Unfortunately, there are no certain successes when learning to write. You have a simple choice - write the stories you want to write despite knowing you might get it wrong, or don't write them.

That's the same choice every other author has made. Pretty much every successful author has the tale of that book (or books) that they did and that was crap.

Now, if you're looking at that and you know that and you want to keep this (or any other) idea back until the day you're confident that you'll succeed when writing - that's fine. That's potentially quite sensible.

But you're gonna have to write something to get there.

@RJM Corbet thanks, I appreciate your support. I guess it's a good thing I ask for advice cause I rather put something out that is of good effort put into it rather than something that is not well put.

I actually just did the 75 word challenge!! Anyone want to see it?

@The Big Peat I agree with that, not every book is going to be mind blowing, but at least there is some quality to what they have made. at least it had been published. I fear my writings will be so poorly written that it would easily be overlooked that it couldn't even possibly be published into anything :(

@RJM Corbet thanks, I appreciate your support. I guess it's a good thing I ask for advice cause I rather put something out that is of good effort put into it rather than something that is not well put.

I actually just did the 75 word challenge!! Anyone want to see it?

@The Big Peat I agree with that, not every book is going to be mind blowing, but at least there is some quality to what they have made. at least it had been published. I fear my writings will be so poorly written that it would easily be overlooked that it couldn't even possibly be published into anything :(

Everything I said still stands. When I'm talking about successful authors having that book that sucked, I'm talking about the books they couldn't even get published. The books they say had no business having published.

Honestly? I don't know how long you've been writing but the likelihood is that the first things you do will suck and won't be publishable. That's pretty common. I generally think that new writers are better off not knowing this - I certainly was better off for not knowing it - but since its come up, I'll be honest. That's how it is.

And either you take that risk and write and learn to write good stuff through doing so, or you don't and none of it happens. Pick your favourite motivational speech, give it a listen, then get writing and get over that fear because there is no other way. This is the path of pretty much every writer. Write your best and accept it may not be good enough yet.

Last edited:
I want to write but I'm afraid I'll fail it. I just hate writing sub par stories, it's a killer.

I’m going to go a step further than TBP and tell you that not only are there no certain successes, but you will fail at some point. Everybody does. It might be with this story (which, let’s face it, isn’t a story yet, it’s a bag of ideas), or it might be with something else.

To me your problem is not necessary in the quality of your characters or ideas but in your inhibiting fear of failure. Forgive me if I’m wrong but I’m assuming you’re rather young, as fear of failure tends to be a defining characteristic of youth. It’s only once you have failed once or a few times, and realized that not only was it not the end of the world but actually one of the best and most informative learning experiences of your life, that you can begin applying yourself in earnest and really improve your craft.

But in order to fail, you first have to begin.

So begin.

@TheEndIsNigh it looks like Ywriter5 is not free, they charge a fee :([/QUOTE]

Er, I've just visited the site and it still says it's free. I think if you register it asks for a donation but registering isn't an absolute requirement.

In any case on the home page, link above, I noticed a link to a video on how to use Ywriter5. Now even if you don't download the program it might (As I said it could be a waste of time - but I doubt it) be informative as to how other people go about putting scenes, object, people in their writing.

Back