Project Blue Book

All they gave him was a black long coat! What the heck! A budget issue ?

No, like I said, it has to be earned. The case is more likely that they were going to give him the whole thing as soon as they would have got to other end of the plane ride. It's clear that they want Hynek to understand and be their guy inside the program. But, fifties strongman culture just couldn't accept it, William had to force the issue to Hynek even though he could have achieved better results by showing evidence, and asking to come to Antartica.

The First Contact scares a lot of people, because it's unknown, and you really don't know if you come out from it alive. But that's what William tried to do, it's just he couldn't adapt the cloak-and-dagger stuff, because of the secrecy. Nobody can know because it's a taboo. So, why didn't he shoot Hynek when he had a chance? Quinn would have gone in shock and tried to save dear doctor, while he would have made the escape. No other shooting involved. Plane saved and he would have got to destination intact.

Now there is a big issue between MIB and Project Blue Book, and yet, they said nothing to generals. Why?

Is the enemy your friend?

No, like I said, it has to be earned. The case is more likely that they were going to give him the whole thing as soon as they would have got to other end of the plane ride. It's clear that they want Hynek to understand and be their guy inside the program. But, fifties strongman culture just couldn't accept it, William had to force the issue to Hynek even though he could have achieved better results by showing evidence, and asking to come to Antartica.

The First Contact scares a lot of people, because it's unknown, and you really don't know if you come out from it alive. But that's what William tried to do, it's just he couldn't adapt the cloak-and-dagger stuff, because of the secrecy. Nobody can know because it's a taboo. So, why didn't he shoot Hynek when he had a chance? Quinn would have gone in shock and tried to save dear doctor, while he would have made the escape. No other shooting involved. Plane saved and he would have got to destination intact.

Now there is a big issue between MIB and Project Blue Book, and yet, they said nothing to generals. Why?

Is the enemy your friend?
Welp the MIB guy said they wanted Hynek to look like them, they didn't even give him a brief case either! Yeah what about the Air Force?!

Reactions: ctg
Indeed. So let me ask you this, in your time inside the space program, did you saw MIB's or related people to them? Or even heard about rumours?

topsec.jpg

Al, edit it please. Use features first button, add media. Paste link and the system will attach the video under the spoiler tag.

Interesting. The case they made in the MK ULTRA episode is plausible and the History channel adaptation only shows a small portion about the event. So, think about it and what I said about the fear of unknown. Mind can conjure horrifying images.

The greatest scene in the TV Project Bluebook..first Donald Keyhoe is being interview on the radio .. then the the CIA or is it the Men In Black (tho this guy is wearing brown!) stick a gun in his mouth... they let him go but we never see him again! Or renegade CIA who are MIB love that twist!!!

keyhoe1.jpg
keyhoe2.jpg

then the the CIA or is it the Men In Black (tho this guy is wearing brown!) stick a gun in his mouth...

I think those are general's men and has nothing to do with the MIB. I get that Keyhoe popularised the whole thing through his writings, but unless he brings in a case, the series should be about him and his revelations, but about the secrecy done inside the government. Mimi's role in this season seems to act as a medium between the army and the public. There are still a couple episodes to go, and we might get another Keyhoe scene.

I think those are general's men and has nothing to do with the MIB. I get that Keyhoe popularised the whole thing through his writings, but unless he brings in a case, the series should be about him and his revelations, but about the secrecy done inside the government. Mimi's role in this season seems to act as a medium between the army and the public. There are still a couple episodes to go, and we might get another Keyhoe scene.

I think
Mimi should be reveled as the leader of The Men In Black!!

• Haha
HUjHzJQ.jpg

This was quite difficult episode for all parties. Including me as a viewer. I could not remember Robertson Panel at all. But why should I when it didn't close down the project, and all the evidence from Sign and Grudge was simply swiped off from the slate and a messenger brought the whole thing to a Disney ending.

All I want to say about it is that the Intelligence Machine tried and failed to douche the phenomenon. If it would have been taken off from Air Force hands we can be certain that nobody in US could have heard about anything. But then again, it happened, and the subject became a taboo, because it was needed to get through the times.

Maybe we humans are weren't as ready for the close encounters as we are today. Back then, distributing the information throughout the world would have taken ages, while now it's spreads within a day. It's easier to think that we are alone than accept the impossible. I'm also pretty certain that this is not the last time we'll see CIA or other intelligence agencies in play.

In the other hand I was glad to find out that Suzy's case moved forward even though I'm also certain that she will never receive her child in the States. Getting her out from the Soviet Union in the fifties would have been impossible, and it's more likely that the girl was send to Siperia. All Stalin cared was power. But what I don't get is that why she risked it?

To get her out, she would have to be smuggled to Finnish border and then get her to over it, hide her and the assistance from border patrols. It's not an easy job, hence the intelligence establishment has honed on it more than people smugglers. So getting a girl to states in fifties is something Suzy should forget because it ain't happening. It is a tough life for being a spy.

Can't find a picuture of the Robertson panel but the members were: (according to Wikipedia)
Luis Alvarez, physicist, radar expert (and later, a Nobel Prize recipient); (actually Alvarez was more than that !)
Frederick C. Durant, CIA officer, secretary to the panel and missile expert;
Samuel Abraham Goudsmit, Brookhaven National Laboratories nuclear physicist;
Thornton Leigh Page, astrophysicist, radar expert, deputy director of Johns Hopkins Operations Research Office;
Lloyd Berkner, physicist;
J. Allen Hynek, astronomer and consultant to Blue Book presented to the panel, but was not a full member.
Frederick C. Durant wasn't a CIA officer but a consultant he was an engineer working for Bell Aerospace , actually famous in aeronautics and astronautics.... met Louie Alvarez a couple of times, knew Thornton Page for about 20 years when he moved to Houston in 1970....
None of those actors looked like any of the panel!

This episode

Сьюзи Миллер стреляет в Ллёда

Commie shoots commie, what more could you ask!??
susshoots.jpg

So the Roberson panel keep Project Blue Book because this guy said Bug Ducking crazy stuff?

planetvanusios.jpg

So the Roberson panel keep Project Blue Book because this guy said Bug Ducking crazy stuff?

Well, think about it. They weren't really compelled by the traditional evidence. In fact, if you read CIA's version of the events, the whole panel was ridiculous and it caused the agency a lot of trouble. Especially as most of it is classified.

The charge to the panel was to review the available evidence on UFOs and to consider the possible dangers of the phenomena to US national security. The panel met from 14 to 17 January 1953. It reviewed Air Force data on UFO case histories and, after spending 12 hours studying the phenomena, declared that reasonable explanations could be suggested for most, if not all, sightings. For example, after reviewing motion-picture film taken of a UFO sighting near Tremonton, Utah, on 2 July 1952 and one near Great Falls, Montana, on 15 August 1950, the panel concluded that the images on the Tremonton film were caused by sunlight reflecting off seagulls and that the images at Great Falls were sunlight reflecting off the surface of two Air Force interceptors. (31)

The panel concluded unanimously that there was no evidence of a direct threat to national security in the UFO sightings. Nor could the panel find any evidence that the objects sighted might be extraterrestrials. It did find that continued emphasis on UFO reporting might threaten "the orderly functioning" of the government by clogging the channels of communication with irrelevant reports and by inducing "hysterical mass behavior" harmful to constituted authority. The panel also worried that potential enemies contemplating an attack on the United States might exploit the UFO phenomena and use them to disrupt US air defenses. (32)

To meet these problems, the panel recommended that the National Security Council debunk UFO reports and institute a policy of public education to reassure the public of the lack of evidence behind UFOs. It suggested using the mass media, advertising, business clubs, schools, and even the Disney corporation to get the message across. Reporting at the height of McCarthyism, the panel also recommended that such private UFO groups as the Civilian Flying Saucer Investigators in Los Angeles and the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization in Wisconsin be monitored for subversive activities. (33)

The Robertson panel's conclusions were strikingly similar to those of the earlier Air Force project reports on SIGN and GRUDGE and to those of the CIA's own OSI Study Group. All investigative groups found that UFO reports indicated no direct threat to national security and no evidence of visits by extraterrestrials.

Following the Robertson panel findings, the Agency abandoned efforts to draft an NSCID on UFOs. (34) The Scientific Advisory Panel on UFOs (the Robertson panel) submitted its report to the IAC, the Secretary of Defense, the Director of the Federal Civil Defense Administration, and the Chairman of the National Security Resources Board. CIA officials said no further consideration of the subject appeared warranted, although they continued to monitor sightings in the interest of national security. Philip Strong and Fred Durant from OSI also briefed the Office of National Estimates on the findings. (35) CIA officials wanted knowledge of any Agency interest in the subject of flying saucers carefully restricted, noting not only that the Robertson panel report was classified but also that any mention of CIA sponsorship of the panel was forbidden. This attitude would later cause the Agency major problems relating to its credibility

You read into that and it becomes obvious that the agency wasn't going to drop the subject, because unknown visitors created a concern for the national security. Besides the point, they wanted to hide it completely, and it is possible that because of it, the whole subject became such a taboo. Thing is, we know most certainly that the Authorities are interested on the visitors, and only one world governments has come forward about it publicly and that is Chile. They officially study, publish and recommend people to report the sightings.

A lot of other governments has kept it quiet, and there is no talk about it, because there are no UFOs. Yet, Italian government came forward in the Unidentified, and acknowledged that they have put together scientists under a military leadership. US is still investigating and has changed the rules, but all the reports are still classified.

So, did the man from woods, talking crazy really appeared at front of the panel? It's plausible, but we don't know for sure.

MIB David to the rescue!
David saved the day -- just as he had promised he would. By appearing before the panel as a calm, cool and understating UFO witness, he must have known that Quinn would seize the opportunity to demonstrate how well the Air Force was protecting the nation by debunking UFO reports from people like him (wink, wink). I don't think David's dark choice of attire was pure happenstance.
Linking the panel review and Spielberg's Close Encounters of the Third Kind was a great way to tell the story.

Back