Series Title within a Story?

-K2-

So, now having happily committed to a series title, I have a chapter which is also entitled the same. That chapter which I intend on using, I have a lot of flexibility due to the nature of it as to placement. My question is; being the only reference to the series name, do you think it should/must be in the first novel, or, could I leave it in the second novel, perhaps moving it closer to the beginning?

Thanks for your input!

K2

Last edited by a moderator:
Use it in the chapter where it fits best, if you're going to use it at all.

However. If I came across a chapter that had the same title as the series, I would expect that chapter to be *very* significant in terms of letting me know what the series is all about, in terms of theme etc. It would in some way have to be the heart of the series. Unless you're confident this is the case, I think you'd be better off not using it as a chapter title too.

I agree, it needs to go where the chapter fits, not where the title fits. That's not to say that it won't make a good chapter title at some point.

Thanks @HareBrain , @janeoreilly & @Biskit ; Thanks for your input, all of you make good points.

@HareBrain ; it fits anywhere... to a point. Too early and it takes some of the punch out of current events, too late and it comes off as some great secret, which it is not. See ** below. I'm positive that it must be said, but, it doesn't affect the story one way or the other regarding what is happening with the characters, in that they're simply dealing with the consequences of it.

@janeoreilly ; My question is not so much 'where the chapter title fits,' yet the fact that the chapter explains the series title. That series title we obviously see from the get-go and on the cover of every novel, but it's only used once throughout the content of the series (which I don't need to do, I just want to).

So, my question is; since it is used as the series title (that point alone), should it be placed in the first novel, or can it wait (in a round about way, I might have already answered it myself in my last line above)?

@Biskit ; I'm not so sure (that's not a statement, I'm simply debating my thoughts). I believe the reader will get the sense of it easily enough. I feel the chapter is needed, the title fits the chapter (in that we stumble at the start then fall), and I like it as a series title in that it describes what has happened... America has stumbled & fallen.

** As to the chapter itself, it firmly establishes many of the critical points that happen years before the story takes place, that chapter and series title referring to the fact that America-its citizens-its government-its value of liberty... stumbled (and fell). That resulted in a chain of events, that caused all of the problems the characters must now deal with in the story (and ultimately try and figuratively raise Liberty back up).

Again, I have a lot of flexibility as to where the chapter goes, in that it only relates to events that cause everything the characters must deal with now. I've always intended for it to be presented later in the story in that I can be vague here, elude to this there, describe minor points throughout the story, yet I like the fact that aspects which caused those results eventually ties it all together. However, tying it all together does nothing to help the characters along, it simply gives the reader a clear picture as to why.

By that point, it just helps the reader clarify questions they may have so they can cease wondering and focus on the story (although, having them question aspects for a while works too).

Thanks for your input and helping me to talk this out!

K2

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't so much want to say it requires significance; it may more require some self-evident-ness. In the sense that the reader comes away with --Oh,Liberty Stumbled and then it makes perfect sense that the series is named that too. That may sound like significance; however I think that it could acquire anything from irreverence to inanity and yet still pertain. Which is to say that it only has to have significance to one character no matter how meaningless it might seem to other characters.

It should probably be addressed as soon as possible.

Well, obviously, I think there should be something on the covers that will state the volume and series name?

I would say for this kind of title, I would use it as a final or late-middle point chapter. Something that can both cause some tension and start to alleviate some heavy conflict, while still potentially going on about some form of wind down endgame.

Back