Doctor Who (37) 11.08 The Witchfinders

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I was pleasantly surprised, although not impressed with the portrayal of James VI/I.
Baddies looked impressive even if they weren't very formidable.
I've really enjoyed the humour of the last two episodes.

I liked the episode overall but I was disappointed with King James. I think Alan Cumming is brilliant. To my surprise I didn't like this. It just seemed off to me.

Although I'm not following these threads anymore, I did feel compelled to stop by and share my opinion on the latest episode.

FANTASTIC! Quite a fun ride.

Didn't care for the depiction of King James - they'd have been better off just using a random character, or one of the more renown witch hunters.

Nevertheless,I totally enjoyed the episode! :)

As someone who knows nothing about King James, I found him as good as any of the other depictions of historical royalty in the show. I particularly liked his infatuation with Ryan. :D

Seems like a missed a good one, ironically.

I simply forgot that it was on - didn't even remember to record it.

Which I suppose is a reflection on what I think of the series so far...

Like everyone else, I enjoyed the episode and was less than impressed with the acting of James (*) and the "witches " daughter. The last words as the tardis left were particularly poorly delivered.
(* Similarly; expected more of Alan Cumming)

Interesting to note that the voice of the mud creature seemed almost identical to the voice of the pyrovile (molten lava creature in Pompeii) of yesteryear. It must be all that waiting underground.

(y) (y)
The mud-infused Morax were a visual upgrade from the tooth-embedded Stenza in the growing alien enemy ranks.
I have zero knowledge of English witchhunting history, but I found the concept of an established bureaucracy headed by a "Witchfinder General" dedicated to finding and destroying witches in the 17th century to be hilarious.
Also funny was role hats played as symbols of power. The Doctor looked better in Scotty's bullet-damaged hand-me-down than Graham.

Seems like a missed a good one, ironically.

I simply forgot that it was on - didn't even remember to record it.

Which I suppose is a reflection on what I think of the series so far...

Well not good, but an improvement.

Who resists the "these people are protected by me" line which gives me hope they're phasing it out.

The plot was a little better and I don't think we've had these badies before.

Didn't get the reason for shooting the horses though?

I was expecting our friend from episode three (Rosa) behind the mask, so when it turned out to be James it was a bit of a surprise.

I particularly liked the "duck her" line by James. He, having wrestled with the arguments, deciding on the safe option. Also liked the feel of the place, mud and more mud - very horrible history like.

Also no use of the screwdriver to escape the chains - surprising.

Although new, the monsters seemd more frightening as tendrils rather than their human form counterparts.
I think it would have been better to keep them as animated corpses (al la Independence Day) but there you go.

I have zero knowledge of English witchhunting history, but I found the concept of an established bureaucracy headed by a "Witchfinder General" dedicated to finding and destroying witches in the 17th century to be hilarious.
You can learn all about it from Vincent Price
Witchfinder General (film) - Wikipedia :devilish:

Wouldn't he have had a more Scottish accent? He sounded a bit Home Counties to me. Also, they kept referring to the King James Bible, as if he had translated it himself. He just paid people to do it. He would have been far too busy doing Kingly things.

My major concern was that Pendle Hill is really an alien prison and that we still haven't done anything about it!

Anyhow, it's good that no one can find much to complain about in this episode. The companions even had real stuff to do here, and the Doctor couldn't solve everything with her screwdriver. There were monsters of the week and it was also historical, so very much in the style of classic Doctor Who.

(y)(y)

Think of it as a kind of Mcarthyism with extreme prejudice

Or the reaction when someone says what they actually think on social media.

A very good episode all around, but he Doctor is still asking too many questions and not figuring enough out for herself, but we all need answers quickly in the one episode/one story format. It was funny to see that she was treated like a woman the way a woman would be treated in the 17th century and how she coped.

The villains were suitably creepy and forceful, if a little one note (We will conquer/kill you all blah blah blah).

And how daft was it to start waving the sonic screwdriver about in the middle of a bleeding witch-hunt? I mean shouldn't the Doctor show a little discretion now and again. I guess they just wanted her to be tried as a witch so she could escape. Which they didn't even bother to show. Just some tepid explanation about escaping locks. Yas should have been tried and found guilty or innocent. It would have helped the show immensely.

Ryan still has all the charm of an HMRC audit.

What can I say about Bradley Walsh? He has been the best thing about the new series hands down. He has been absolutely wonderful the entire time.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear the Doctor cite Clarke when she referenced his third law at the end. I think she should have, but I'm a bit of a Clarke fan so take that as you will.

Still, this was much more enjoyable than most of the series has been.